· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Blood Parrot Agression?

0 Not allowed!
    A friend of mine that I've mentioned before now has a few parrots. She has two Jellybeans, and one actual Blood Parrot in her 35g.

She recently added a baby Oscar (without doing research, or consulting me (Not that I'm the boss, lol)) and the Parrots killed it in one night. Are they really that aggressive? I wouldn't have expected them to do that. Especially since they are being treated for Ick... Yeah... That was bad too...

I'm trying guys, but I can only do so much.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Blood parrots and jelly bean parrots are hybrid cichlids that have central american cichlid dna (midas or red devil). Central Amercian cichlids are aggressive and even though their mouth cant do damage, they can ram a fish to death.

0 Not allowed!
    That's basically what I was wondering. I know they have the beak thing in their mouths, but I just thought they might be a little more docile.

Wow, that had to be a horrible death.
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Well for crying out loud. 2 jellybeans, a parrot and an Oscar in 35 gallons. Of course I am pretty sure this Oscar was a baby and the others full grown?

Parrots are not exactly killers but the space was tight, the Oscar was new and the parrots had already staked a "small" territory.

I'm not for sure on the reference to jellybean here. A jelly bean is a cross between a blood parrot and a convict..... technically, any female parrot that breeds with another fish can be referred to as jellybeans, too.....but, some also call the dyed parrots jellybeans. Or bubblegums.

It doesn't help that stores also mislabel them.

I was curious because you said 2 jellybeans and one blood parrot. If they are dyed parrots, then it would simply be 3 blood parrots and an Oscar. To say 2 jellybeans and a parrot made me think that she actually had 2 jellybeans........Convict blood and that would not surprise me if the Oscar had been killed.

Am I as clear as mud? LOL
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-30-2012 at 10:56 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry Hobbs. She had two of the dyed blood parrots, and a regular orange blood parrot.

EDIT: I don't think they are full grown. She's only had them for about 2 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Mandy. Just checking to make sure we were not talking parrot/convicts.

This is really puzzling now that you say the parrots are babies. I've never had adults injure anything much less babies. My bet was the Oscar just died and she assumed the parrots killed it.
    Young parrots are very timid fish.

0 Not allowed!
    And not to mention they have Ick.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ich and stress killed the newbie.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    And not to mention they have Ick.
    Oh gads. That explains it.