· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Just FYI, cories and Ottos are not "janitors". Ottos are usually wild-caught and therefore can be quite difficult to keep and feed. They need A LOT of algae and many will not accept added foods.

Cories also need their own sinking pellets and very clean gravel, otherwise their delicate barbels will be damaged. Contrary to popular belief, they do not clean the bottom of a tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for clarifying. :)

0 Not allowed!
    I have otos. They do really good in large groups and in planted tanks. For a 65 gallon i would put 12 to 16 of them. They would be happ and all of mine take algae wafers wih no problems. If you dont get ottos, may I suggest 2 or 3 saimese algae eaters. They are awesome and will keep plants nice and clean.
    Roll the Dice!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The aquarium is densely planted and has a bunch of different kinds of algae. The algae doesn't bother me as long as there is someone keeping it within bounds. It's just part of nature. But someone has to keep it from over running the place.

It also has a bunch of driftwood that is placed so it provides a lot of shelter. It's not all that tall, the plants are hiding most of it, so it's not a focal point for viewing but rather a place for fish to do their thing in private.

I like a natural look in that aquarium, and I don't mind not seeing all the inhabitants all the time. To me, it's much more fun when they are happy and come out to frolic because they feel safe.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glofish
    The Glos shool about mid level most of the time. Are there any top schoolers?

I hear hatchets do that, but they are sensitive?
    Hatchets can be sensitive but if your tank is cycled they will thrive. The Silver Hatchets are the most hardy followed by the more attactive Marble. I've kept both and had one Marble live five years, two by himself because the LFS never got any back in and years ago threre were no on line stores. Buu six or more if you decide to go with them.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    Just FYI, cories and Ottos are not "janitors". Ottos are usually wild-caught and therefore can be quite difficult to keep and feed. They need A LOT of algae and many will not accept added foods.

Cories also need their own sinking pellets and very clean gravel, otherwise their delicate barbels will be damaged. Contrary to popular belief, they do not clean the bottom of a tank.
    Very good point. I remember years ago dealers used to sell Cories as "scavanger fish", this was in the seventies and they were also recomending keeping one per tank, wow have we come a long way!

The last LFS store in my small town still keeps one per tank when they get them in, unbeliveable, and roll thier eyes when you suggest they keep them all together.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I remember those days, I had an aquarium then and not in the meantime. Now we have info at our fingertips, back then all I could find was a little booklet "how to care for your goldfish".

I had no idea one had to cycle. I was just lucky in that I started with one goldfish in a 35 gallon or so (not exactly sure how big it was, but not too small) and slowly added and added and added - everything that wasn't compatible. I think the pure confusion those fish must have had kept them from eating each other.

Glad those days are over, I love learning about things before I do them. It's half the fun.

Hatchets - I wonder if they will be a lot of trouble during water changes, I hear they like to jump and commit suicide?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I remember those days, I had an aquarium then and not in the meantime. Now we have info at our fingertips, back then all I could find was a little booklet "how to care for your goldfish".

I had no idea one had to cycle. I was just lucky in that I started with one goldfish in a 35 gallon or so (not exactly sure how big it was, but not too small) and slowly added and added and added - everything that wasn't compatible. I think the pure confusion those fish must have had kept them from eating each other.

Glad those days are over, I love learning about things before I do them. It's half the fun.

Hatchets - I wonder if they will be a lot of trouble during water changes, I hear they like to jump and commit suicide?
    Just keep the as much of the tank covered while you work, plastic wrap helps, and uncover and cover as you go.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

All this talk of Hatchets has inspired be to buy a school of Marble Hatchets the next time I place an order.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, lol, just don't blame me for it! :)

Well, my tank is cycled and has glofish in it for now. Their behavior is much different than when they had little swimming space. They used to be busy staking out spawning territories and chasing each other a lot. They always kept a little distance from each other.

Now in the big tank they are schooling closely and swim much closer to each other. They are also calmer. They still break up to scope out spawning grounds periodically, but not near as often.

Now the next step will be algae eaters so my plants won't be over run by algae. Up to now I have been removing it from leaves with a little paint brush and scraping the walls. There is a lot of it, and rather than trying to stop it alltogether, I like to have some fish that will keep it trim, I do like the look of some algae growing.

I doubt anyone will eat it all and banish it from the tank, all I need to do is use a little liquid fertilizer and it pops up like crazy. ( I mostly feed the plants with tablets now).

So another choice there is the siamese algae eater - there is a place in Arizona that breeds the real ones.

So it's either Otos or Siamese. I hear the Siamese eat every type of algae while the Oto is more picky. Any opinions?

I am adding gradually, so the hatchets and/or rasboros and/or rainbows will come later, I don't have to make up my mind on those quite yet.