Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. Default apple snail questions


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I currently have 2 apple snails in my 30 gal community tank - a yellow and a blue. I LOVE them - they are so interesting to watch.
    They seem to be very healthy snails, are very active and good eaters. I feed them algae tabs and veggie pellets and always keep fresh zuccinhi, or watermelon or cucucumber in the tank for them and the BNP which they devour. And of course, they are always working the sides and bottom of the tank as well as the artificial plants.

    Since I've had them - approx 3 months - they have doubled in size.
    Questions:
    1) How big do these suckers get? LOL If they keep doubling in size every 3 months, I'll have to get them a tank all their own soon.
    2) Today I noticed that the blue snail has a little hole in its shell about the size of a small grain of sand. I can see through the blue shell to the dark gray snail matter. Is this something I should be worried about? And if so, is there anything I should be doing about it?

    thanks. I really like these guys and want to make certain I'm doing right by them.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

  2. #2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your snails could use a little more calcium in their diet. Try some of the calcium rich foods in the below thread

    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=71890

    They can get as big as about 3 inches across.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  3. #3

    Arrow As big as an apple :-P


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    1) How big do these suckers get? LOL If they keep doubling in size every 3 months, I'll have to get them a tank all their own soon.
    2) Today I noticed that the blue snail has a little hole in its shell about the size of a small grain of sand. I can see through the blue shell to the dark gray snail matter. Is this something I should be worried about? And if so, is there anything I should be doing about it?

    I really like these guys and want to make certain I'm doing right by them.
    I don't know much about them, But these guys do.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 09-30-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Ninja'd by Cliff.... AGAIN lol
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  4. Default thanks guys


    0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys. Looks like I need to get my blue boy some spinach. And it also sounds like they can get even bigger!

    Appreciate the responses and helpful links!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I had 1 that grew to about the size of a tennis ball

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADIN
    I had 1 that grew to about the size of a tennis ball
    Holy cow! These two are about ping pong ball size right now ... and still growing.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    it depends a lot on actual species and unfortunately apple snails
    aren't really labeled well in the aquarium industry. In my home country(thailand)
    you can find apple snails the size of oranges and grapefruit in the canals.

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    it depends a lot on actual species and unfortunately apple snails
    aren't really labeled well in the aquarium industry. In my home country(thailand)
    you can find apple snails the size of oranges and grapefruit in the canals.
    again - wow!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

  9. #9

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    This is a good start for the food- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=71890

    The hole will heal up, their flesh will actually calcify around it and close it off, but it will always be a little pock. Not a big deal, purely asthetic. It was either caused by an impact, or soft water. To play it safe I would add something in the tank that can buffer the water. It'll keep the shells from deteriorating in the first place.

    Then again, I love snails.

    Also, it is highly unlikely your's will get as large as tennis balls. The larger ones are extremely hard to get a hold of in the US, and will actually do quite a bit of damage if you have any plants at all. Most likely you just have the standard run of the mill apple snail that will..maybe get a little bigger than a ping pong ball. Most likely not.

    If you do have the large variant (channeled apple snail or Florida apple snail) I will pay you for babies
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hey - thanks for the info. This tank is so stable with the current chemistry that I hate to mess with adding any buffer for fear it will mess with the fish. Water has been testing about 7.2 on the low ph API chart. I'm hoping that's high enough. But will absolutely get them some more calcium via food. I LOVE these 2 snails - they simply fascinate me. I bought them on a whim just to add a little color and for clean up but they've become favorites in the tank.

    So - how do you get them to eat the food listed in the chart (and don't shoot me for being stupid) I can sink zuccini and watermelon and cucs (all of which they eat) but dill weed? Spinach? How do you make that happen? Is it something as simple as 'snail food' i can buy? Going to feel very stupid if that's the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup
    This is a good start for the food- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=71890

    The hole will heal up, their flesh will actually calcify around it and close it off, but it will always be a little pock. Not a big deal, purely asthetic. It was either caused by an impact, or soft water. To play it safe I would add something in the tank that can buffer the water. It'll keep the shells from deteriorating in the first place.

    Then again, I love snails.

    Also, it is highly unlikely your's will get as large as tennis balls. The larger ones are extremely hard to get a hold of in the US, and will actually do quite a bit of damage if you have any plants at all. Most likely you just have the standard run of the mill apple snail that will..maybe get a little bigger than a ping pong ball. Most likely not.

    If you do have the large variant (channeled apple snail or Florida apple snail) I will pay you for babies
    Bite your tongue LOL. I don't want babies. I just want these 2 guys and will be VERY upset with my LFS who PROMISED they would not reproduce .
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •