· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How much is 130lbs really...

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I am setting up my 10 gallon nano reef in my dorm room.
    I rounded up to 9 lbs a gallon and 10 gallons = 90 pounds
    10 pounds of live rock
    10-20 lbs of substrate
    So we are looking at 120 lbs. or so worth of tank. Now I have a desk at school with a shelf thing above it that sits on the desk. It is made of real wood, not that particle stuff and I am just wondering if the shelf part can hold it. It seems very sturdy but I was just wondering how much 120 lbs. of dead weight really is...
    I wish I had my camera to take a pic of it but do you guys think this will hold the 10 gallon tank up?

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't even think of trying that. It might hold...for a while...or it might not. Is it worth the risk?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No def. not. but I just sat on it, I weight 140 and it was solid, I am switching my stuff around to see other possibilities of where I can fit it.
    The shelf is on the backside of my desk and is only about 8 inches off the actual desk so I am thinking of getting a big block of wood or something and putting it under the shelf part.
    Note: the shelf is seperate from the desk. I can like take it out and move it around and stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    If you added 3-4 studs supporting the shelf, and glue&screw them in, I think it would be OK. Id need to see a pic though.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kind of just want to take the shelf right off my desk then I will have more room and stuff but IDK where to put the shelf thingy.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zackish
    No def. not. but I just sat on it, I weight 140 and it was solid, I am switching my stuff around to see other possibilities of where I can fit it.
    The shelf is on the backside of my desk and is only about 8 inches off the actual desk so I am thinking of getting a big block of wood or something and putting it under the shelf part.
    Note: the shelf is seperate from the desk. I can like take it out and move it around and stuff.
    The problem with that is that you sat on it for how long? The tank will be on there 24/7. Temporary vs. permanent load is a VERY different story.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.