· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

Question Adding a male betta to a community

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all!

So I spent all night trying to catch all my guppies! (There were actually a LOT because a few of my females gave birth in the past two weeks.)

I caught all but like.... 7. A couple are adults, but most of them are two week old fry.

I rearranged the whole tank, and just now, I added my male betta. Is it normal for me to see a bit of chasing going on? I have had a betta in this tank before, but it was a long time ago so I don't remember.

He's chasing a few of the fish--but not farther than a few inches before he loses interest. He hasn't flared up at all that I've seen.

Is he just establishing himself / being curious or should I be worried?
    Last edited by Lolita; 09-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Id keep an eye on them. My betta likes to stalk my cories and frogs sometimes and it looks like he is wanting to bite them, but then he swims away and does nothing to hurt them. So he may be just asserting himself to the other tankmates or chasing away intruders from chosen territory in the tank, and he might stop and get used to them. But there's also the chance he could get aggressive with them.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I think that's exactly what he was doing. Today, he seems very calm and isn't bothering any of the fish, not even the guppies that I still haven't caught. He isn't even flaring at his own reflection when he sees it in the tank, haha. He is very curious about my bn pleco, though! He keeps slowly creeping up on him, then darting away when the pleco shifts or flaps a fin!
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol thats what my betta used to do with the frogs. He saw them just sitting there and was intrigued by them and then they turned their head and he had heart attack! xD

Some bettas are nice and docile, it seems like you mightbhave one of them. Its all individual personalities. :)
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Guppies are usually high on the "no" list to have a with a Betta. This is because generally Guppies are fast, nippy peckers, and flashy finned. Keep a close eye on this combo as it has huge potential for problems. Your Betta may be fine with the guppies, but believe it or not, the guppies may pick on him, especially at night.

Check your Betta's fins regularly for nicking and tearing, as its not unheard of for guppies to gang up on a Betta.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.