· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cherry shrimp and oxygen

0 Not allowed!
    So my fiancÚ just set up a 15 gallon tank for some cherry shrimps. Looks really cool. Has some small slate pieces, some driftwood, java moss, and Indian almond leaves. (He does really good decorating the tanks :-} ). And It has a small heater in it. So to get to the point, my question is do we need oxygen in the tank? Or will java moss produce enough to support them? I'd say there are 30-40 shrimps and about 3 or 4 portions of the best java moss I've seen in a while. Can't seem to find answers to the questions I have recently... :-/ so I just keep coming back here and asking, then you kind people help me :-}, which is more appreciated than you know. Thank you!
    HB :-}

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should have a filter running in there? That should create enough surface movement in you're water to provide enough oxygen for your tank and shrimp

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Like a sponge filter??? Or should use power filter? Won't the latter suck up the shrimps???
    HB :-}

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    check out the guide to cherry shrimp thread. you should have a filter in your tank shrimp do not like poor water conditions. even though the cherry shrimp are quite tolerable of different water perameters they should remain the same (no fluctuation) the tank should be cycled and established before introducing any shrimp. this can pose a major problem and you might ultimately get the result of death. any hang on back filter will do as long as its rated a little higher than your tank size. if the filter does not have a sponge over the intake you can also purchase them seperately. this will stop the shrimp from being sucked up especially if they begin to breed (wich they will) do you have a test kit? added oxygen is always good especially with shrimp in a planted tank as the plants will actually draw oxygen from the water ... different from plants outside. you could inject Co2 but not necessary. java moss is great for shrimp as it contains lots of micro organisms for them to feed off of , especially the young ones. if there are any questions at all plz feel free to ask.
    Last edited by mr mittag; 09-29-2012 at 04:29 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I run a fluval u2 in my 15 gal tank and is taking with cherries and a few ember tetras.

Plenty of filtration and at the same time blowing out the bubbles to keep my tank oxygenated. Quite often see the shrimp sitting all over the filter and never getting sucked into the filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr mittag
    check out the guide to cherry shrimp thread. you should have a filter in your tank shrimp do not like poor water conditions. even though the cherry shrimp are quite tolerable of different water perameters they should remain the same (no fluctuation) the tank should be cycled and established before introducing any shrimp. this can pose a major problem and you might ultimately get the result of death. any hang on back filter will do as long as its rated a little higher than your tank size. if the filter does not have a sponge over the intake you can also purchase them seperately. this will stop the shrimp from being sucked up especially if they begin to breed (wich they will) do you have a test kit? added oxygen is always good especially with shrimp in a planted tank as the plants will actually draw oxygen from the water ... different from plants outside. you could inject Co2 but not necessary. java moss is great for shrimp as it contains lots of micro organisms for them to feed off of , especially the young ones. if there are any questions at all plz feel free to ask.
    I agree with alot of what you say BUT....... plants will draw oxygen???

During the day the plants use CO2 and create oxygen as terestrial plants, at night they stop, some do put out a tiny tiny bit of CO2 but it's so small it's not a considderation.

I think alot of people get confused as the advice is to only inject CO2 during the day because CO2 levels rise at night as the plants stop using it up.

In a non CO2 suplimented system, as long as you have water movement (a filter or powerhead) you will be fine.
    I have had cherry shrimp in non planted, heavy planted, warm, cold, filtered and non filtered systems and all have done well.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfraser05
    I agree with alot of what you say BUT....... plants will draw oxygen???

During the day the plants use CO2 and create oxygen as terestrial plants, at night they stop, some do put out a tiny tiny bit of CO2 but it's so small it's not a considderation.

I think alot of people get confused as the advice is to only inject CO2 during the day because CO2 levels rise at night as the plants stop using it up.

In a non CO2 suplimented system, as long as you have water movement (a filter or powerhead) you will be fine.
    I have had cherry shrimp in non planted, heavy planted, warm, cold, filtered and non filtered systems and all have done well.
    i know co2 is optional, in shrimp tanks it can be beneficial to them but it is not necessary. i get what youre saying. im just stating that in any area whether it be land or sea, added oxygen only makes things thrive not deprive. and with the rcs they have the capability to live in many parameters, but to achieve maximum potential, those parameters must remain constant