· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    can't wait to see a schoal of 60! best of luck with the project and be sure to keep us updated.
    Thar she blows!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll try my best... photography is another passion of mine so I'll try to get some nice pics of whats going on.

3. Default September 30th

0 Not allowed!
    Here's today's update everyone.

Found the final resting place of the tank (kinda).

That book case is going to be removed and placed where the 29g is (which maybe I'll post some pics of if you're good AC ). The tank will move left a touch so that you can view it from all three sides. Going to be a nightmare for me as the aquascape needs to be presentable from three sides, not an easy feat!

Here are the two types of Floracor I picked up. I've heard good and bad things about this substrate, but at $1.50 a bag, it seemed like a no brainer. IMO, its probably just like eco-complete which is pretty good substrate for the money.

Lastly, I did some quick plumbing to make filling this tank easy as turning a knob.

Thats a standard garden hose attachment at the end. I've never justified to myself spending $65-75 dollars on a python when this basic plumbing setup + a 25' garden hose + the siphon cost about $40. Plus, I have one of those removable sink heads with a shower attachment so it doesn't seem like its python friendly.

My only concern is that I tapped into the cold water line. During the winter the building's heat will be switched on but I doubt it will keep everything warm enough that the cold water comes in at around ~65 degrees which I could live with during water changes.

I may have to pipe in the hot water as well and then tune it every time I do a water change. We'll just have to wait and see. Which may just defeat the cost-effectiveness of this approach, but... I don't have to worry about it breaking haha (knocks on wood).

Stand is going to be built this Thursday... if anyone has any advice at all about DIY stands please don't hesitate to share. :)

That's all for now folks.

4. Default October 2nd

0 Not allowed!
    No pics today, sorry guys. Have decided on getting a UV unit once everything is installed. It should help counter the algae problem I'm anticipating and keep the water germ-free for the most part.

Haven't decided on which unit yet but it'll probably be under rater for the tank as some have suggested that overdoing it with the UV is problematic.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice in using a UV sterilizer in a planted tank please let me know.

Thanks.

5. Default October 5th

0 Not allowed!

Picked up the wood tonight... hopefully I'll get the stand built tomorrow and set the tank on it to see if it fits alright. I'll need to do some slight mods here and there, might go with some heavier bracing, and then stain...

Hope to have the hardscape set up by Sunday!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the stand is taking longer than expect as I've had a busy weekend so far. I'm a little over half way done and I'll post some pics tonight. Hopefully of the finished product!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the completed stand

The pic posted so far of the stand looks like a red-green special

(just kidding BTW)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL... no, its true.

I'm gonna need some input on the stand.... I'm fairly sure that it could support much more than 90g, but its better to be safe than sorry. Also, my floor is not exactly level where the tank is going... just one of the downsides of apartment living. Wooden shims to correct it?

0 Not allowed!
    I have yet to live in a house with perfectly level floors. I use the plastic shims that are meant to be used to shim exterroir doors

They won't compress over time like wood can, and you can find them at any Home Depot or Lowes in the department were they sell doors and windows
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    60 Rasboras? Wow. That is going to look great.
    Can't wait to see this tank finished! Good luck getting it all together and running!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492