· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a link for more info on the EI Method, should you be interested: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...ss-techy-folks
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I did just read last night that more light = more co2 = more nutrients (macro & micro). Are you dosing macros, like Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphorus and trace ferts? According to Tom Barr, there needs to be a strict regimen of dosing equivalent to your light/co2. So, the more light you have, the more co2 you'll need, thus the more nutrients you'll need to keep the plants healthy enough to absorb the co2 and grow.
    Don't forget that Mr. Barr's method is aimed at quick, almost explosive growth. If tha'ts what you're after it's certainly worth a read but it's far from the only method to keep healthy plants

0 Not allowed!
    The growth, according to Barr, is determined by your light. Lower light = lower co2 = lower fertilization = lower growth. The IE Method (and I haven't done it yet) is supposed to work for any growth rate you want. It's been argued that this method pretty much kills off your algae by creating healthy, flourishing plants.

Seachem actually has a worksheet for the use of their products, as well (which I just found). Of course they want you to use their products, but in their defense, you won't use their products if they don't work, so I suppose there's merit in the schedule they put forth.

I haven't tried just dosing with macros yet (I don't think a lot of people do, and that's probably why they have algae issues), so maybe I'll test just dosing per instructions first, before I actually dose per IE Method.

I'm curious to know what you do, dutchie. You've had great success in your tanks. =/

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Kevin, I would be hesitant about dosing macros through Seachem. I bought all my macros online for $10.

I haven't decided yet if I'll do EI or PPS-Pro or just figure out whats right for my tank. But yes, less light does mean less CO2 and nutrients. To be honest, I don't really like any of the prescribed fertilization methods; they all seem too crude to me. Yes, EI is all about overdosing a tank, but it doesn't really sit right in my mind even if it works.

The proper way would be to determine the rate of consumption of all the nutrients that plants need and fulfill those rate requirements taking into account the efficiency of nutrient uptake. Seems like a somewhat impossible task.

Here's tonights pic:

0 Not allowed!
    If only there were an equation to follow. ;]

Anyway, I'm leaning toward your way of thinking. Basically try a bit here and there and increase until you start seeing results of healthy plants + dwindling algae. ;]

Question: Where did you get your ferts? Are they dry or liquid?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got them from aquariumfertilizer.com, its pretty cheap stuff for the amount you get but there are other places that are probably cheaper. There's someone on another forum who also sells them, if you're interested shoot me a PM. Supposedly the 4lbs I've bought should last anywhere from 12-18 months versus the flourish which I would burn through in about 2 months.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks HP! I've actually seen that site before, but didn't know the URL. Appreciate it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sure thing!

So no real updates here, I started dry dosing fertilizers just 2 days ago so I can't really tell the difference between these and flourish, but the floaters I have in the tank went from 1/2 coverage to nearly full as soon as I started dosing. I guess I'll have a better idea of how well everything is working after a week or so.

Heres an FTS:

That green coloring is from the floaters.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Been a while since my last post, sorry bout that, been busy as always. Anyways, here are the updates.

I've reduced the light in the tank by swapping one of the 6500k bulbs out for a Colormax bulb. Less PAR, and a nice bit of color on the fish and plants. I've continued EI dosing, although I find that I'm going through the ferts a lot quicker than anticipated :/ Growth has been pretty great and the BBA is on its way out. I am also dosing excel everyday in addition to the 1-2bps CO2 I'm injecting.

Added another piece of plumbing under my sink, now I can feed hot and cold water into the tank and the same time, helps match the temperature to the tank water (which I know everyone already does lol).

I'll post some pics once I find my phone lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to the photo updates. That's a very elegant tank you have there.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast