· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    On the gbr, remember that they are Cichlids and everytime theres a new guy the whole order gets messed up so they have to reestablish a pecking order.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome tank HP!!

You can pick up some SAE @ Petwarehouse in Carle Place, Long Island. I was there over the weekend and they had a bunch. I picked up mine from there 8 months ago. They def eat BBA. They love the stuff. Oh don't worry they are TRUE SAE.
    Roll the Dice!

3. Default January 30th

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    On the gbr, remember that they are Cichlids and everytime theres a new guy the whole order gets messed up so they have to reestablish a pecking order.
    Yes and it seems that the big guy has stayed on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogi View Post
    Awesome tank HP!!

You can pick up some SAE @ Petwarehouse in Carle Place, Long Island. I was there over the weekend and they had a bunch. I picked up mine from there 8 months ago. They def eat BBA. They love the stuff. Oh don't worry they are TRUE SAE.
    If I can get there with the subway or train I may consider getting out there... but the BBA is slowly melting. But, even with the success, I think it'll be months before its all gone without a horde of SAE.

Todays update:

Not much else is going on with the tank, I just upped the dosage of Flourish Comprehensive to 10mL twice a week from just once a week. I have DIY CO2 running, but I doubt it's doing much especially with all the surface agitation; the rate of gas exchange is probably way high.

Here a pic for you, mind that it wasn't easy to find this guy:

Thats an African Filter shrimp, also known as Vampire shrimp and the Gabon shrimp from its scientific name, Atya gabonesis. These guys are filter feeders much like Bamboo shrimp but they are very shy and, I've read but not witnessed, nocturnal. Currently, hes hiding in an Amazon sword.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice shrimp! =] I was just at the pet store today looking at Bamboo Shrimp. I had no idea they got so large. I think they could probably survive my tank w/ the Killies. lol

Be careful with the liquid ferts. All mine did was feed an algae outbreak. =X
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kevin, both the African and the Bamboo Shrimp will get pretty large. Somewhere around 4" is normal I think.

6. Default Febuary 5th

0 Not allowed!
    I found a dead fish today, one of the rasboras. Quite strange, there may have been something wrong, but with so many its hard to tell. Water quality was right on, could just be stress.

On the positive side, I picked up a 10lb CO2 tank and a JBJ regulator for $95. Pretty good deal, hopefully everything is in working order and I'll get CO2 running by this weekend, should cut down on the algae a bit...

Speaking of algae, I've continued the spot treating with the BBA. The stuff from the previous treatment has really melted away, the driftwood is exposed again so hopefully this batch will follow suit.

Pics of the tank and reg:

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your experience with CO2 injections. I've always thought about it, but never dared. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Cool stuff HP!! Almost looks like you are going Steam punk
    Roll the Dice!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your experience with CO2 injections. I've always thought about it, but never dared. ;P
    Well it'll be a learning experience for both of us then haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogi View Post
    Cool stuff HP!! Almost looks like you are going Steam punk
    Thanks Gogi... hmmm, steam punk fish tank? Sounds awesome.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick update for tonight cause I'm super tired.

As some of you may have noticed, I've caught the dreaded BBA in my tank as well as the even more annoying cladophora. I suspect that my lack of CO2 in a tank this size, with all this light, was the cause. And so, today I set up a CO2 system and re-did the tank.

Truthfully, the arrangement of plants wasn't exactly what I wanted so it was a win win with the redo. I cut the algae free portions of plants and replanted them, with a little more style this time, in the hopes that the high nutrient load and CO2 will lead to quick grow and replace everything that I cut away within a few weeks if not less.

Pics will follow in the morning once the lights are back on. I'll also post a quick tour on setting up CO2 as it is really as simple as fitting an airline onto a nipple.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast