· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Stocking options for 20gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum. I have learnt a lot by going through this forum and felt bad about killing fish in fish bowl due to lack of knowledge.
    I am trying to do it right this time. Got a 20gallon tank (24"L x 15"W x 18"H) and it is currently going through the cycling process. I am doing a fish less cycle with pure Ammonia and got API fresh water test kit for testing. First bacteria colony which feeds on Ammonia is established and i am waiting for the second colony which feeds on Nitrites to be established.
    Mean while, i am trying to finalize the stocking for this tank. I am thinking of the following fish,

1. 1 school of 12 cardinal tetra fish
    2. 2 sword tail fish or 2 platy fish

Please pour in your suggestions.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about adding a centerpiece fish such as a betta or gourami?

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed on the centerpiece fish. You'd have to go with a dwarf gourami, or sparkling gouramis if you got one of those. The others get too big. I've also heard in a few different places that sparkling gouramis are basiclly the only ones you can have together without problems.

EDIT: Omega, you have an angelfish in a 20g???
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not seen sparkling gourami in LFS so far but, dwarf gourami and honey gourami are available. Is the tank enough to have this fish along with tetra school and platy or swords? I am afraid of over stocking the tank

0 Not allowed!
    You should be okay I think.

Is your tank tall or long? What kind of filtration do you have on it?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These are the tank dimensions - 24"L x 15"W x 18"H
    Filter came along with the aquarium, capacity is given as 800L/H on the filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, how many gallons is that? Not very familiar with liters. I looked it up and it says that's about 211 gallons, but I'm just not thinking that a 20g would come with that kind of filtration.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea my angelfish was a rescue. He/She is only 1.5 inches right now. I got him out of an 18 gallon that hadn't been cleaned in months. Even if he outgrows this tank, ill have a larger one by christmas. Don't mean to steal the thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not suggest the Gourami AND livebearers in a 20g. I would also not suggest Swordtails... Mine got too big for my 25g and had to be moved. They get a lot bigger than most people would think. I would recommend the Gourami instead of the Platys, as it is prettier and has more character IMO. They come in some gorgeous colours.
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=co...OywNuLumAXSpQE

I would suggest:
    - 12 Cardinal Tetras
    - 1 Dwarf Gourami
    - maybe a couple of shrimp if you like them?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link, they are beautiful. I will definitely have one of those. I have not thought about shrimp so far, can you suggest few varieties? Will they survive fish in the tank?

Mandy, you are correct. 800liters is 211gallons, the sticker on filter says this "FLmax: 800L/H" Is it too much for a 80 liter tank?