· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 Golden Wonder Killies (1 Forked tail?)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I purchased 3 Golden Wonders yesterday at Petsmart. They seem to be pretty healthy, but I did notice something today. Currently I have them and 3 Serpaes in a QT. One of them tends to hover around the bottom, while the other 2 hover at the top or in the mid (usually in between). Sometimes they're all at the bottom - usually when the lights are off, I think.

The one that hovers at the bottom for the majority of the time has a forked tail, while the two up top have fanned tails. Is a forked tail normal for some Killies? There doesn't appear to be any fan in the middle of the tail - it reminds me more of a shark tail than a Killie.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never seen a forked-tail golden wonder killie before... would love to see a pic!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana
    Never seen a forked-tail golden wonder killie before... would love to see a pic!
    lol, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Or, I'll just post a picture today, 2 days later.

Here's the guy. Now he seems to go where the others go. I'm thinking it's a disfigurement from when he was smaller. Maybe some other fish nipped the fan out of his tail and it grew back like this?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's beautiful! Maybe he was just born that way, a little different from the others... :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana
    He's beautiful! Maybe he was just born that way, a little different from the others... :)
    Haha, could be. I like him - he's pretty active. Was just wondering if I had what I thought I had, or if this was some different species. Other than the tail, he seems very healthy. Looking forward to them growing. =]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Haha, could be. I like him - he's pretty active. Was just wondering if I had what I thought I had, or if this was some different species. Other than the tail, he seems very healthy. Looking forward to them growing. =]
    Not sure how new he is, but if it is truly a he, it is pretty pale. if you would like, I can post a pic of my two who are very bright yellow/greenish for reference...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityFlyer
    Not sure how new he is, but if it is truly a he, it is pretty pale. if you would like, I can post a pic of my two who are very bright yellow/greenish for reference...
    I just bought them about a week ago. I assume the paleness is from stress? If you don't mind posting yours, that would be great for reference.

This pic was also of him in a QT with 2 others and 3 serpaes. I now have them in the main 75gal and they all stay at the top, but I've noticed 2 separate from the 3rd. They keep away from each other. I'm thinking two of them paired off (M - this guy + F - I think), but I'm not sure what the 3rd is.

I'll take a new pic of them in the 75gal - I think they're gaining more color.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    I just bought them about a week ago. I assume the paleness is from stress? If you don't mind posting yours, that would be great for reference.

This pic was also of him in a QT with 2 others and 3 serpaes. I now have them in the main 75gal and they all stay at the top, but I've noticed 2 separate from the 3rd. They keep away from each other. I'm thinking two of them paired off (M - this guy + F - I think), but I'm not sure what the 3rd is.

I'll take a new pic of them in the 75gal - I think they're gaining more color.
    Sure thing, I'll try and remember to snap and post a pic of them when I get back from work tomorrow. Hopefully I can get both in one shot.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is one of my Killies the other was moving around too much :) Two pics, same fish...

(I just fed them 30 seconds before so he'd swim slower, hence the particles in the water.)