· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default African Dwarf frog has suddenly swollen up

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. So I'm a little worried. My dwarf frog, Robert has swollen up in the past two hours.

Three days ago I fed her a fair amount of blood worms, and two days ago and today I tried her on Topfin's Frog, newt and Tadpole bits to try and get more nutrients in her.

She ate her first batch (Two little pellets) without much problem, but they had to soak in the tank for a while so she could crumble them. The second batch she hasn't touched yet. All through out today she was thin and active like normal. Then I look over and she's perfectly still (Unless I move the tank, she'll wriggle a little) and bloated. Is it just weight gain from the pellets and worms from two/three days ago? Or worse.

She hasn't eaten her food today, and I'm not sure what's going on.... Dropsy keeps coming to mind, but she's not that swollen yet, I don't think.

0 Not allowed!
    Depends where she is bloated. Is it her belly thats bulging like she swallowed a marble? If so, she is overfed. Do not feed a Dwarf frog every day, usually a clump of blood worms every other day is enough.

If its her whole body, like someone inflated her with a pump, that is bad news, and though I cant offhand think of the name of the disease, it is a disease which is usually fatal in frogs.

Don't be too concerned about her "not moving". ADF's normally have periods of being immobile sometimes for long durations. As long as she is surfacing for air, there isn't a problem. Don't shake the tank, or poke at her, that is likely to keep her immobile from a "stun" standpoint. Frogs will often "freeze up" due to sudden movement, or something touching them as they view it as a threat.

LOL sorry "he", just saw "robert"
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had this happen to my axolotl. I would do a water change and see what happens.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding lots of bloodworms can cause this,the larvae are loaded with tiny hooklike appendages that get caught up in the guts and can kill from constipation. Live or frozen blackworms are better choices to feed frogs. Im not sure what to tell you to do other then keep the water warm to allow for better digestion.