· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Sexing, Breeding, and Rasing GloFish

0 Not allowed!
    I know it's illegal, and I'm probably never going to do it, but how do I sex & breed GloFish, and raise the fry? Is it like any other breeding session where you feed them quality foods such as bloodworms or tubifex worms, then place the group to be bred in a well-cycled tank with over 3 gallons of water with large smooth marbles or coarse gravel? Also, will the fry be just like the parents? I mean like be fluorescent and all the same color and stuff? Is this called "true" fry or something? I don't think Red + Green = Green, so I'll have to breed Green + Green to get a Green fry, right?
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    I imagine they would be just like breeding zebra danios, because that is what glowfish are.. that is, if you end up with fertile parents (their fertility rates are supposedly lower than the regular zebras).
    From what I understand, they do not breed true. You will get some mixing of colours if different ones breed, and even if you breed the same colours to each other, you will get some plain albino danios as well as "glowfish", since not all of the fry will inherit the glow genes.

0 Not allowed!
    Zebra Danios are a breeze to spawn and rear.
    Feed high quality foods and they will spawn. It really is that simple.
    When mature, the fat ones will be females full of eggs. The slim sleek ones are male.

To keep the eggs from being eaten you will need marbles or large gravel on the tank bottom, or lots of plants such as java moss. There are plastic spawning mats that can keep the parents away from the eggs as well.
    They will spawn after the lights come on in the morning so you'll want to take the parents out of the tank a couple of hours later. I work during the week so I only pull parents from the spawning tank on weekends. I end up with lots to give away. My zebra spawning/hatching/early rearing tank is 2.5 gallons with a sponge filter. Eggs are large enough for people with good eyesight to see. Zebra Danio eggs are used in classroom biology experiments as kids can spawn them, see the eggs, and watch the embryo develop.

Eggs will start to hatch in three days, but will continue to hatch over time depending on temperature.

Fry are very small. You'll notice them as they jerk around as they move. They look like little slivers of glass.
    Infusoria is the ideal first food as they are too small to eat baby brine shrimp. I use Hikari First Bites, Golden Pearls, and Ken's Fish #00 Growth meal.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It isn't illegal to breed glofish, just to market them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @dbosman

Will the entire fry be like the lime green parents, or will some be lime green and some will be albino?
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquahead1
    @dbosman
    Will the entire fry be like the lime green parents, or will some be lime green and some will be albino?
    Since the creators are splicing in differing genetic materials to make the various colors, color A x color A will breed true. Crossing the colors might be a fun project, but not one I'd bother spending the money on since the results can't be sold or even readily traded.

The original glofish were zebra danios that were genetically modified. The newer colors are made using the golden variation so the color isn't masked by stripes.
    There are several hundred commercial genetic variations. Danio eggs are large enough for young eyes to see and to see the embryo develop.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To bring this back up, I've seen that true bred GloFish are fairly easy to hatch. (Ex. "Color A x Color A = True")

Is there any way to point out fertile GloFish?