· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Angels

1. Smile Leasider

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I am new around here and first posting.....

Came on this site by chance while looking for info on Tropical Angels.
    Have 3 of these in my aquarium, Have a jewell Rio 180, 1 black marbled and 2 golden/white with balack markings. (not sure what these are).
    At first they got on well together but lately the 2 golden ones tend to argue and antagonise each other, chasing each other around the aquarium. The black one
    Think I might have found the answer as after reading the earlier posts think they are 2 females as the black one tended to defend one of the others.
    Wondered if anyone could confirm as I am a little new to keeping tropical fish.
    Would it be OK to split the 2 as I have a smaller tank and get 'her' a 'mate'.
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure why you posted in someone elses thread but I have moved your post here.

It is not very often angels can be kept together and why I keep one angel in a 55 gallon and another one in another 55 gallon. They must be a mated pair to live together UNLESS you have a very large, fully planted tank so they can hide from each other.

A pair will began hanging out together but all others will be fair game and have to be rehomed.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there
    Thanks for the reply and was not sure of where to post it really. Just saw a thread which seemed to connect with what I was after and , well....

Anyway, looks as if I might have a bit of a problem. I have put the 'rouge' angel in a separate smaller tank for now with some tetras and danios. They seem to be getting on OK at present although it looks a bit lonely.
    The other pair in the larger tank are Ok.
    Think I will get a mate for the other one, even though the tank is a little on the small side and see how they go.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    They don't need a mate, they do just fine by themselves. Chances are much much higher that adding a new one will result in fighting.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Your second tank is 40L/10g according to your profile.

This is not even half the size tank required for a single angel, You are going to need another plan.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Your second tank is 40L/10g according to your profile.

This is not even half the size tank required for a single angel, You are going to need another plan.

I second that comment and will go further and say it is not even 1/4 the size that a single angel deserves.

0 Not allowed!
    No way. Like everyone says, not even large enough for one. They do grow.

And you can not pick out a mate. Mates can not be sexed for months and you don't pick their mates, they do.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds as if the variety you have is what is known as a Panda type Koi. A black and white marble blusher.

Depending upon what you wish to do long term you might remove what would be positively identified as the other sex from the equation. Without the hormones in the water you may quite often be able to keep groups of males together with good success. And you may keep groups of females together as well although they will still become roe bound and spawn as female pairs or groups of females. This group mock or unfertilized female only spawning may get nippy too though. You will have to reduce to either a pair, a single or a same sexed pair. The easiest solution is the single fish in a comfortable sized tank, not a 10 gallon. Preferably a 30 gallon or larger. These fish can be fairly territorial and damage each other to the point of their own demise.

If you choose to go any other direction other than the single angel please educate yourself as to the care and keeping for that situation.

You can force pair bonds and partner swap mated pairs of angels to introduce individual fish to each other for prefered genetic combinations. There are a few tricks to this as you must select stock that is not overtly aggressive and as a keeper you must know how to read the posture and physical body language of the newly introduced pairs. In a case where aggression is witnessed one must place in a divider prior to having the pair damage each other before they bond. In most cases the introduction of a female well bound with eggs is not the best choice as the stress will cause problems and she may become egg bound risking the onset of a septic condition.