· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the articles - I've been reading everything I can find since I've been fighting ich in my 90 gal and following some very good advice.

One thing - most advice I've been given when using heat is that 85F is adequate to kill ich. These two articles quoted here, however, say 86F.
    I'm 6 days in to heat treatment at 85F. Should I increase the temp one more degree for the remaining 4 days?
    Or do I need to start counting all over and do 10 days at 86F?
    Or just stay the course at 85?
    The last thing I want to do is end up with another outbreak because I was 1 degree too low during the heat treatment. But I also don't want to put more stress on these fish

thanks so much
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly........If you are using ick medications, I would not have raised the temp at all.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Honestly........If you are using ick medications, I would not have raised the temp at all.
    Right. I did not raise the temp until I'd gotten most of the copper out of there. Long story on why I used coppersafe in the first place (all documented in the sick angel thread) - but the consensus was it's what made the angel sick (and finally die) combined with some other elements. So ... reduced copper and raised temp gradually until copper was all but gone. Strictly heat treatment now with 0 copper showing. No wonder the poor BP's are stressed :o( thanks
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Are you seeing any improvement at all?

It seems odd that the coppersafe killed your Angel. Coppersafe is just like the name says - it's a copper based product that's safe for your fish; or meant to be anyway.

If you're using the heat treatment, you really have to be brave and get your temp up to 86F. It's at this temp and above that the parasite can't survive in its free swimming form. The entire life cycle of the parasite can be all done after 4 days, when the temp is raised. But you have to add more oxygen to the tank, it's very important. You can go back to using the salt, along with the temp, if you like, since the Coppersafe seems to be causing dramas. Just keep a close eye on your pleco. If he seems to be getting stressed at all, do a partial water change to bring the salinity down a little.

Just found the info for Coppersafe. I'm sorry that you lost your angel. :(
    Directions for Use:
    Use 5 ml for 4 gallons of water. Loosen measuring chamber cap and squeeze bottle to fill to desired level. One application treats water for one month. DO NOT overdose.
    Active Ingredients: Chelated Copper Sulfate.

Precautions: CopperSafe may be harmful to plants and some snails. If possible, remove plants and invertebrates without an exoskeleton from the aquarium. Otherwise, treat fish in a separate quarantine tank. Keep out of reach of children. For aquarium use only.

CopperSafe is intended for the exclusive use with ornamental fish and/or ornamental organisms and is not intended for use with humans or fish for human consumption.

Benefit: CopperSafe is a chelated copper compound that is used for the treatment of infections of Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/Protozoan diseases and other external parasites.

CopperSafe, when used as directed, maintains a total copper level of 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm in the water. CopperSafe remains active for over one month in the aquarium. Levels of 0.3 ppm free copper are recommended in the literature for therapeutic use, but with Coppersafe, the levels of free copper will be measured at 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. This level of copper can be used in the treatment of fish due to Coppersafe's unique chelating agent. The chelating agent binds with the copper making it nontoxic to fish but effective against parasites. CopperSafe does not discolor the water and will not interfere with the biological filter

Use: CopperSafe should be used when a diagnosis of the fish's illness indicates the presence of Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/ Protozoan Diseases and other external freshwater parasites.
    Last edited by escamosa; 09-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Are you seeing any improvement at all?

Hi Escamosa. thanks for checking in. If you have a few moments, you should read the posts on my 'suddenly sick angel' thread. the general consensus was that there was an adverse reaction to the angel having to do with the copper but it's much more complex than just that.

It seems odd that the coppersafe killed your Angel. Coppersafe is just like the name says - it's a copper based product that's safe for your fish; or meant to be anyway.

If you're using the heat treatment, you really have to be brave and get your temp up to 86F. It's at this temp and above that the parasite can't survive in its free swimming form. The entire life cycle of the parasite can be all done after 4 days, when the temp is raised. But you have to add more oxygen to the tank, it's very important. You can go back to using the salt, along with the temp, if you like, since the Coppersafe seems to be causing dramas. Just keep a close eye on your pleco. If he seems to be getting stressed at all, do a partial water change to bring the salinity down a little.
    I'm so afraid to do anything different at this point. I've got all the copper out of the water. Have had the temp at 85 since Tuesday night. No other treatment. No salt because I'm worried about the pleco. I'm also worried to up the temp to 86F as the bigger BP is showing signs of stress with the addition of dark splotches on his body. As you can tell, I'm just plain worried ... So many have been so helpful and all are fairly consistent with the plan to stay the course with heat treatment. I can up the temp a degree and watch carefully ... Have tons of aeration. 2 air stones + spray bars causing a huge ruckus on the surface.

I'm sorry that you lost your angel. :(
    cop
    Thanks. I really appreciate it.

0 Not allowed!
    This is probably the only subject escamosa and I have had that I tend of disagree with. I can not wrap my mind around keeping fish in water of 86 degrees. Especially when not all fish can tolerate it.

If salt and 80 degrees will kill the ick, then I can't grasp the concept of putting them through 86 degrees. Or.....medication and normal temps.

There is now a strain of Ick that is said to survive in water up to 95 degrees.

I wonder if they make little sweat bands for the fishies head? LOLOL

But really, Thank God I am no expert on Ick. Three times in 9 years was enough for me. (I used medication and did not raise the heat.)

But I do like this debate with escamosa.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs

But really, Thank God I am no expert on Ick. Three times in 9 years was enough for me. (I used medication and did not raise the heat.)

But I do like this debate with escamosa.
    Heck, I'm no expert on treating ich, never said I was. And I'm not debating anyone. If other fish are showing signs of stress in the tank, lower the temp and add salt.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Heck, I'm no expert on treating ich, never said I was. And I'm not debating anyone. If other fish are showing signs of stress in the tank, lower the temp and add salt.

You are all fantastic and I value everything everyone one of you says as you are all trying to help. It's very much appreciated. True friends, however, would show up at my door with buckets and their water vacs

0 Not allowed!
    Buy me the ticket and I'm there!

Hobbsy, I don't mind this kind of debate, and I'm no expert either! Honestly, both methods will work, but to me, it all boils down to how long you want your fish to go through a treatment. 4 days or 7 - 10? Possibly kill the parasite after 1 life cycle or let it have a chance at 2 or 3? Some fish will handle it, others won't - but the same thing can be said when we use medications or salt. We're both handing out our advice, mostly based on our own personal experiences, which is good thing. Personally, I'm a firm believer that experience can be better than some things straight out of a text book, which is why places like this are great! Yep, science has proven that there's a tougher strain of ich out there, and it's given us a few proven ways to treat all kinds of ich, and when it comes to the little horror, I choose to hit it hard and fast so that it doesn't get a good grip on my fishies!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    I knew you would show up, you stinker.