· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Anybody kept/bred badis badis?

0 Not allowed!
    As title says... have seen this recently and they have really caught my eye.

anybody kept or bred this little chaps?

would they work well in a heavy planted, 2ft, 15gal tank with a few ember tetras and red cherry shrimp?

0 Not allowed!
    I have never kept these, but WOW!! What a beautiful little fish!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are in deed a beautiful little fish. From what i've read they should be housed with small peaceful fish which suits my tank ideally with my little embers and rcs.

0 Not allowed!
    I will tell you ahead that I have no personal experience with this fish, but I used to consider
    them for my tanks myself so I am welcome to share some research.

The scarlet badis does not seem to be much of a community dweller, because it is so small, gets easily outcompeted for food and mostly will only accept frozen or live foods versus prepared (convenient) foods. So you may want to keep them on their own or with tiny peaceful schoolers like microrasboras, etc.

They come from soft waters but are supposedly unfussy (as opposed to most dwarf cichlids) and you should be able to keep them at as low as 20°C. due to their timid nature they do appreciate plenty of cover. The males are territorial and should not be kept together in a small setup.

On a last note, many sources claim that most imported fish will be males, so you likely will not have any females if you buy a couple.

0 Not allowed!
    I've been trying for a while to get a pair of them locally, can only seem to find males. Had planned to keep them in a 20g planted tank. For breeding anything I tend to use live foods as that seems to help with most anything.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found 3 at a LFS and purchased them. They are tiny! I'm in class, so I'll update more later.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok-- Like I said, I have three. I keep them in a micro-community with some RCS. They are picky eaters, preferring live foods, but mine are adjusted to flake foods. I tried some frozen brine shrimp, but they are a bit too small to eat them at this point. They will max out at around .75 inches, though mine are around .5 inches currently. You will most likely find only males in the US, from what I've read. All three of mine are male. They spend a lot of time hiding, but they do come out often enough to see them. They aren't very social with one another, but they aren't aggressive with each other, either. I wouldn't keep them with other fish species unless they were also tiny, as they would make a quick snack. They enjoy hiding spaces, like I said. Mine prefer pores in the driftwood, or hiding on plant leaves. They remind me, look and behavior-wise, of a mix between a neolamprologus multifasciatus and a betta.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats some good info there.. warming to the little chaps rightly,.