· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 30G Stocking help, Compatibility?

0 Not allowed!
    i Just got a new 30g standard tank with an Aquaclear 50 filter and a heater. i also have a small box corner filter running in the corner.

The tanks been running for about a week , i'm in the middle of a fishless cycle using pure ammonia : (very high ammonia, no nitrites yet).

For stocking i'm thinking about an Anglefish as a centerpeice, with a school of 10-15 neon or cardinal tetras, and a 3-6 Corys for the bottom.

Would this set up work? I'm open to suggestions so i appreciate any help.

Also if you know, what temperature would be good for these fish to compromise at? and are there any other parameters i need to know keeping these fish ? any help is appreciated thank you very much.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would look for a little larger tetra. Take a look at the rummynose tetras, which go well with angels. Also, angels like the temp a bitter higher than some fish so check the parameters for the cories you want. I have almost this exact configuration with angel, rummynose (I have 10) and sterbai cories. The sterbai can tolerate a bit higher temp. I also have a few otto cats and I keep my tank right around 80F.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright thanks alot, i might also give cardinal tetras a try since they are a little bigger than the neons so hopefully the angel wont be affected by them.

for catfish, i know a school of them is reccomended so my question is do they all have to be the same color ? like u cant have one albino one sterbai etc... to be a school, they all have to be the same?

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    I did not have an issue with my angels and cardinal tetras, so anecdotal evidence gains +1 to compatibility.

For schooling fish you should aim for like specimens where the scientific name is the same for the best results. So if its the same specific type of fish and just a coloration difference that works fine. If you mix them, you may not get as natural reactions, but corys by all accounts do place nice with each other.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would add another Aquaclear 50.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tate8
    I would add another Aquaclear 50.
    +1

Also - as to your corys. I have 6 in my 30 - 3 pairs of 2 different variety. If I had it to do over again, I would have 6 of the same variety. I think they would school much nicer and be happier.
    My plan is to eventually move 2 pair into my 90 and add 4 more of each variety so I have 2 schools of six. Then get another 4 for the 30 - again of the same variety so I have a school of 6 like fish.

Your tank sounds really nice with the angel and the larger tetra. Something else to think about are Colombian Tetra. Gorgeous fish and while they don't swim in tight schools (most schools won't if they feel safe) they like each others company and 'sort' of stick together in the middle of the tank which makes a very nice visual effect.

have fun stocking!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    +1. Make your cories all the same. Although they may hang out with other cories for security, they are not the same species and will not display their usual schooling behavior.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmez21
    alright thanks alot, i might also give cardinal tetras a try since they are a little bigger than the neons so hopefully the angel wont be affected by them.

for catfish, i know a school of them is reccomended so my question is do they all have to be the same color ? like u cant have one albino one sterbai etc... to be a school, they all have to be the same?
    If you buy a small Angel and bigger Cardinals it should work out. The Angel shoud be in a little bigger tank like a 50 gal but I have seen people keep them successfully in smaller tanks. Like everybody suggested buy one spieces of cory and get six or more.

I hope this helps.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks alot everyone... I'll check out the columbian tetras and i realy hope i can use either neons or cardinals with the angel but i've heard that the angels aggressiveness towards them really just goes on a fish to fish basis. Some angels won't mind them at all and others will have a feast.

still no nitrite levels yet :( im getting really anxious to start stocking! i think i may have put a bit too much ammonia in there (4 teaspoons) so this could take a while. Any ideas on how to speed it up?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmez21
    Thanks alot everyone... I'll check out the columbian tetras and i realy hope i can use either neons or cardinals with the angel but i've heard that the angels aggressiveness towards them really just goes on a fish to fish basis. Some angels won't mind them at all and others will have a feast.

still no nitrite levels yet :( im getting really anxious to start stocking! i think i may have put a bit too much ammonia in there (4 teaspoons) so this could take a while. Any ideas on how to speed it up?
    You dosed your 30 gal pretty high to begin with. I might have gone with dosing to 2 instead of 4 as it's going to take a while for that ammonia to drop in that size of tank.
    You've only started a week ago, right? If so, I'd be tempted to do a 50% W/C to see if you can drop the Ammonia down to 2 - which is where you probably should have started. Normally, no W/C during the fishless cycle, but if you've overdosed initially, I'd sure give it a try.
    Once you get your ammonia level to 2, you should start seeing some nitrite action soon after - probably within a week.

BTW: Fishless cycling does work. I cycled my 90 in 3 weeks. But overdosing with ammonia can really slow the process down.
    Good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492