· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Stocking 46 Gallon BF

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. I currently have a very lightly stocked 46 gallon bow front, and I'm in the process of expanding my fish population (finally have some time and a little money). I currently have 14 neon tetras in the tank (they've been there for two years) and 7 peppered cories about to exit quarantine. I've narrowed choices to:

1. Increase the neon shoal 21, and leave it at that. Pros I see are that neons are my favorite fw fish, and this is the lighter stocking plan (smaller water changes/lower nitrates, etc.)

2. Leave the neons at 14 and add a shoal of 13 harlequin rasboras. Pros I see are I'd get a 3rd species, which should fill more of the upper half of the tank (my neons are most often in the bottom half of the tank).

3. Option 2, plus increase the neons to 19

I'm not confined by filtration or water quality. I currently run a Marineland 350 Magnum Pro, filled with some bio-media) and a Sub current surface skimmer (filled with bio media). Ammo and nitrites are 0. Nitrates (with just the neons) are < 5ppm with weekly 10 gallon water changes.

I don't expect the fish to actually get to full size in this tank as I plan on upgrading to at least a 72 gallon bow front in just under two years.

I'd like to get your thoughts on which scheme you think would look better, work better, and why.

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just added 10 Harleys to my 36 gallon bowfront. They are very active and entertaining fish. They stay in the middle to upper part of the tank. I also have 10 Cardinal tetras. They seem to do well with each other. I think you would be able to add the Harleys and up the neons some too if you would like.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I say just up the neons to how much you want it to be, i think you can hold up to 50 neons in that tank given that you have adequate filtration.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FPF77
    I'd like to get your thoughts on which scheme you think would look better, work better, and why.
    What 'looks best' is subjective and you are the one that is gonna be looking at it lol. Having said that I have no issues with any of the above stocking plans.

All are feasible, There will be no compatibility issues, And you are certainly not overstocked IMO as both top schools have minimal bioloads for their numbers.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Harlequins are stunning, they are my favourite schooling fish.

Have you thought about adding a centrepiece fish like a Gourami, or some Kribensis or Bolivian Rams?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I opt for # 3 - a nice little variety. But any of the options would be good.
    You'll have to show picts when you get the tank the way you want it.
    Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Up the neons to 20, add 20 harleys, add the cories. Nicely stocked, active tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! A near clean sweep for the harlequin/neon/cory option. Everyone seems to like the harlequins so much that I think I have to give them a shot. I'll attach a photo once I get fully stocked, though it will probably be a while before I can get all the fish through quarantine.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and being so helpful!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx

Have you thought about adding a centrepiece fish like a Gourami, or some Kribensis or Bolivian Rams?
    I had thought about that (honey gourami option) and may still add one if I'm doing OK with water quality after adding the harlequins and some more neons. It totally makes sense to me. Thanks for bringing it up.

I do, however, love shoaling fish, so they have to come first. It never fails to amuse me when a neon grabs a large flake and tries to play keep away with it from the rest of the shoal.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FPF77
    I had thought about that (honey gourami option) and may still add one if I'm doing OK with water quality after adding the harlequins and some more neons. It totally makes sense to me. Thanks for bringing it up.

I do, however, love shoaling fish, so they have to come first. It never fails to amuse me when a neon grabs a large flake and tries to play keep away with it from the rest of the shoal.
    Adding a gourami as a centerpiece is a great idea. A powder blue dwarf, or a sunset dwarf would look pretty big and yet not over powering in that tank. And my experience with them as been great. they never bother my tetras. So that could be interesting too
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492