· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: aggressive SAE

Default aggressive SAE

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone experienced the SAEs getting aggressive with age?

I have one that's about 4 years old. It's lived peacefully in the tank for years. I added a few cory cats last week and the SAE is chasing them any time he gets within eye shot of them.

I have a 30 gallon tank and feed sinking wafers at each end. The SAE will not let the Cories eat at either feeding station. He chases them through the decor which has torn their fins.

Is this behavior characteristic of mature SAE's?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you 100% sure it's a real honest SAE? There are so many close species out there and generally the true SAE is not an aggressive fish, even older.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    I'm 100 percent sure. Bought the fish from a past forum member(Algenco)who was also a breeder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe he's just a grumpy old man.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hes buy himself in a tank thats too small for a sae. They should have at least a few more for comfort but you would need a 55 gal tank to keep them in. Yes they can get a bit snitty when kept this way.

0 Not allowed!
    Clearly the new cories have invaded his territory and need to be chased away (and there isn't that much of "away" in a 30 gallon tank). The only thing I can suggest (save for getting a larger tank and more SAEs) is to take the SAE out temporarily, re-arrange the decor in the tank, and then put him back in - that way it will not look like "his" territory anymore, and he might be more respectful of the cories... Make sure there are plenty of decorations that break line of sight at bottom level between the feeding areas, so that he can't see the other food at the other end of the tank while eating at his end.

0 Not allowed!
    Was just thinking about upgrading. Need a tank that has the similar footprint (3ft). It needs to fit my custom made stand. I can go "up", but only a few inches wider.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My 58 gal is 36 inches wide. There are evn 70s out there that are still 36 inches. Trouble is that doesn't do much to increase actual living space for snitty fish. Its footprint that lessens aggression not height. You can help your current sitch by adding a big gnarly piece of wood with lots of protrusions nooks and crannys.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. I think my tank might be considered a 30 gallon breeder. It's 36 x 18 x 12. I could go a little wider, but 3ft long is my limit for the current stand. Guess I need to upgrade both.
    Here's a pic of the tank. It has plenty of hiding spaces, but is due a rescape.
    Attached Images Attached Images