· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Total newbie interested in starting a reef tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. As mentioned in my intro post, managing a fish tank was something of a passion of mine at a really young age. I got my first fish tank (freshwater) when I was 8, and all the way to 15 years old, I have maintained just about every kind of freshwater fish that was reasonably priced at the LFS. Until the day my gf at the time gave me one of her kittens, which managed to find its way to my poor fish.

Anyway. Fast forward to almost 20 years later...where I see a small reef tank in a pet shop back home while visiting my parents. My passion for it came back full on. So here I am, to ask questions before I go out and buy anything.

First off, my budget right now is a bit limited, as I'm also deeply involved in another hobby (woodworking - which can tie in to this). Secondly, I currently lack space, so a 20 gallon is probably as far as I can go.

Before asking anything else...should I pass on trying to setup and maintain a reef tank at this moment?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should clarify that when I say I have a limited budget, I mean that I don't have a large amount available to drop on this right now. Thinking along the lines of a few hundreds (shopping used, if possible), and adding 50-100$ purchases here and there over time.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    start reading the stickies at the top of the saltwater and reef subforum. loads of great info in there! it really helped me get started.
    Last edited by Crispy; 09-25-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

I would not suggest buying things here and there as you go. If you start buying stuff before you know what type of reef tank you want, you will most likely end up replacing/up-grading your equipment latter on. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. I would also suggest saving up your money so you could get a larger tank as well. The bigger the tank is, the easier it will be to keep the parameters stable which is key to a reef tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The size of the tank isn't a cost issue though. It's available space that limits me. 20g plus a sump is definitely the most I can accomplish. As to which type of reef tank I want, from my reading, I'd go for a bare bottom, mainly coral (possibly even only coral until I get a proper hang of things). I would be fine with any corals in this list, assuming it is accurate.

I'm very patient, and have no problems with starting out small and boring to learn the ropes.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    +1 to the above

I would not suggest buying things here and there as you go. If you start buying stuff before you know what type of reef tank you want, you will most likely end up replacing/up-grading your equipment latter on. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. I would also suggest saving up your money so you could get a larger tank as well.
    I will not buy a single thing (except a used tank if I find a good deal) until I know exactly what I want, and until it gets approved by experts here. This is why I am happy to have found this place. The last thing I want is to kill off corals and/or fish, or to quit in frustration because I got in over my head.

The problem with saving up money is my other hobby. If I let my extra cash stash grow too big, I'll be buying woodworking tools!

Also of note, I am a huge DIY-er. I already have looked up plans for making my own tanks, in case I can't find a good used deal. I will be building my own stand, and every other component that can be a DIY project.

0 Not allowed!
    There many different ways to set-up a great reef tank. I would not take that list as the "right way" to do it. For the last two tanks that I set-up, I took the time to look into all the different options and pick the one that was the best for me and the planned inhabitants. Reading through some of the tank journals here could also be somewhat helpful with that as well.

Glad to hear there is another wood working hobbyist here as well. I've always enjoyed making my own tank stands, canopies, and other furniture around the house
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, after much researching, I think I may have found a bigger tank that can fit my space. The Fluval Bow 26.

Would that be a good choice? Frankly, at this point - after ~6 hours of equipment research over 2 evenings - I am quite overwhelmed. I'm assuming that right off the bat, the lighting (Aqua-Glo 15 Watt T8 fluorescent) is woefully inadequate for a nano reef tank. From what I understand, I would need at least triple (if not more) wattage than that?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank not bad, more space then the 20. Also will be more beneficial. Also make sure you read a lot of other forums too. AC Saltwater section is not as huge as others. I really like nano-reef. Light would be fine for FOWLR but if your planning for corals then your going to want to up to new LED light or even DIY LED fixture for better chances of success. Take your time and spent your money wisely it adds up quick.
    14g Biocube Tank
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=98216
    5.5g Red Cherry Shrimp

55g Community tank 1 Platy,6 gold barbs, Small Clown Loach, Asian Bumblebee, 1 Red-tail Shark, 2 Albino Plecos

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I bought the Bedo Bio-cube 24 gallon, totally self contained for $199.00, stand included.

sh5.jpg

It houses various corals, 2 seahorses, a manderin goby and a cuc of a shrimp, bristleworms and a few hermits. I feed only the seahorses as the cuc handles the rest. I have had it over a year and it works great. I did change the discharge head to a rotating unit from Hydor, $14 or so. Comes with good lighting but I did add a few LED strips (blue) for the moonlight effect, I love to see the corals glow at night. IMO, great buy and reliable...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15