· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cory eggs will just cloud for quite some time before they fungus on the exterior. I would remove those to a well aerated hatching jar or a small tank to hatch them out. little corys are prone to being eaten by other fish. They will like some live Baby brine shrimp or micro worms as a first food. They grow pretty quick.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels
    Cory eggs will just cloud for quite some time before they fungus on the exterior. I would remove those to a well aerated hatching jar or a small tank to hatch them out. little corys are prone to being eaten by other fish. They will like some live Baby brine shrimp or micro worms as a first food. They grow pretty quick.
    Thanks for the info. What would be the procedure for setting them up in a jar (or bucket)? Basically an air stone, a heater and declorinated water? As I can only move some, what would help in the tank. Lots of air and current?

As far as being eaten, there is a tank divider now so they are isolated from the fish. Would frozen baby brine shrimp work as a first food? I see some recommend egg yolk or liquifry or something like that at first but is that unnecessary or can they go straight to frozen baby brine shrimp? I do have some brine shrimp eggs (not sure if they are still good) but I have never hatched them and have no idea what I am doing (I was kind of worried about the shells not getting separated right and hurting the fish). Would frozen suffice over live ones?

3. Default got fungus

0 Not allowed!
    So I had a complication. A couple of the eggs have fungus. the eggs on the glass look tan and look fine. the eggs on a little ceramic house look fine and are tan. The eggs on the filter tube and on a plastic plant look white and a couple of the ones on the plant have fungus. I treated with rid ich plus (malachite green and formalin). I read one place that a bath in formalin (at 10 times the dose I used) will remove fungus from eggs. I also read on a marine breeding forum of one person that always uses rid ich plus at the recommended dose on the bottle (same I used) and never sees fungus anymore. I also read hydrogen peroxide works but there are claims methyelne blue and formalin work better. I also have peroxide but not methylene blue.

One little complication with that treatment. The tank has massive amounts of live plants, and any organic matter in the tank is supposed to use it up and reduce its effectiveness (not sure if that applies to live plants). I took the little white house out and put in in a bucket of fresh treated water (after a few hours in the tank with the treatment). I have a 300 watt heater (the only spare I had but it seems to be turning on and off ok), and added an air stone. I could move the plant, but it would bring fungus with it, and all the eggs seem to be white (unfertilized?). I did read that unfertilized and damaged eggs are usually the first to get fungus (only a couple have it).

So do I use any treatment in the bucket and how much? Do I keep treating the tank to give those eggs a chance?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    the tan ones are fertilized. The white ones most likely are not, so it's not a big deal they are getting fungus. I would just remove all the white ones at this point if you can do so without disturbing the tan ones. They should be hatching in the next day or two, I would just leave them alone till then.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I assume you mean leave the ones in the bucket in the bucket with clean water, with no treatment. I also assume you mean, leave the rest of the brown ones in the tank alone (that leaves some good ones in the tank and some in the bucket). Further I assume you mean leave the tank with the one treatment already in it (but no more treatments)? I was debating on weather to wait a day or two, then start changing water to get the treatment out, or wait till they hatch (if they do) and then start (changing water to get the treatment out (as I heard it can harm fry)? The malachite green is a short term treatment (a lot of it is probably already gone) but the formalin can remain for several days easy (I think you have to remove it).

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess its not going to go too well. Snails ate/killed most of the eggs that looked good in the tank. The rest seem to possibly have minor signs of fungus (not sure but they do not seem to be developing at all either). some of the ones in the bucket got fungus. A few in the bucket seem to be developing. 1 has 2 eyes. 2 have a single tiny dot like 1 eye? as ones clumped with them seem to be getting fungus, I'm kind of thinking they may not survive anyway being born into fungus. . Maybe I'll get lucky?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So its been 6 days. The eggs in the bucket look more like a single group of slime rather than individual eggs. I assume they are all dead (these are the ones that started to have eyes showing at one point in a couple but then seemed to take a turn for the worse)?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, if they were viable they should have hatched by now. Sorry.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My 5 year old was a little upset (saw the eggs so had to tell him). The 3 corries and the betta in another tank are the only ones he has given names to. Buying adult corries just isn't the same.

So is there anyway to help them decide to spawn again? Do they normally after doing it once? How would I eliminate the fungus in the future? I was thinking a water polishing filter or uv filter (might be cost prohibitive but both are things I would like to eventually get reguardless). I have a canister filter that can take a polishing filter (I have the polishing filters) but it is the main filter in my 55 gal tank.

alternatively, the most recommended course of action I see is methylene blue the second I see eggs. Alternatively, if the eggs can be removed, remove them to a bucket for the cleanest water, give a small dose of methylene blue, and frequently change water?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    what has worked for me is this: I have a spare 10g tank with a few sparse decorations and some leftover sand, with an aquaclear 20 filter and a heater. When the corys spawned, I carefully removed the eggs from the main tank and transferred them to the 10g tank, placing the sticky eggs on the decorations directly under the current flow from the filter output. The spare tank keeps the eggs and fry safe from the adult fish in my main tank, and the filter output keeps fungus off. I haven't used methylene blue for cory eggs although I did use it when I spawned zebra danios. I wouldn't want to be exposing my adult fish and regular tank decor to it since it stains so much. You could set up a tank like that for less than $50.