· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Black Kuhli Loach In Numbers

0 Not allowed!
    Is it really necessary to have 6 or more BKL in a tank? I mean, I want two, but they are apparently very socially dependent and I don't want them to be lonely. Do I really need 6 or more? Posts here will be taken into mind later when I have my big tank.
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquahead1
    Is it really necessary to have 6 or more BKL in a tank?
    Yes. ...................
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I guess it depends on how you define "necessary".

You can get one or two and never see it/them, as they will always be hiding under the safest decoration to be found. You'll wonder if you even still have any after a month or so. But they won't die of being alone.

Or you can get a nice sized school and see them out and about, and be able to watch their antics as they interact with each other and zip twirl zoom around the tank.

I know which I prefer...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had just 2 of them for a year, and the only time i ever saw them was when i moved their house and they frightened and came out. Other than that, they never came out, not even to eat, unless the tank was 100% black. If i had my moonlight on they didnt come out either.

Then this spring i bought more. Now they come out everyday, and i dont have to scare them to death to find them! :)

So why it might not be "necessary" to have 6 or more, its not really worth having any if you only have 2, because you never see their beauty anyway that way. :( With 6 or more you will be sure to always see some, especially right around dusk ive found mine are most active and can usually find almost all of them.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Actually 12+ would yield a more natural behavior in the tank. Loaches prefer larger groups and plenty of cover. If they feel safe in their tank scape and have lots of company they will be very entertaining social fish that wont run and hide at the slightest movement outside their tank.

My Y.cruciatus(dwarf zebra hovering loaches) were always very shy when I kept them in a more Iwagumi tank scape...now that they live in a densely planted tank with a tangle of branches...and I upped their shoal they are out constantly and never hide. You really must take your fish's individual needs and preferences into account before buying them...
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How many BKLs could I comfortably fit in about a 125 gallon aquarium along with:

x5 Ghost Shrimp
    x5 Otocinclus
    x10 Glowlight Tetras

?

I'm thinking over 12, but I don't know because of their size.

4 inches x 12 BKL = 48 inches of BKL.

That's a lot.
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    I had just 2 of them for a year, and the only time i ever saw them was when i moved their house and they frightened and came out. Other than that, they never came out, not even to eat, unless the tank was 100% black. If i had my moonlight on they didnt come out either.

Then this spring i bought more. Now they come out everyday, and i dont have to scare them to death to find them! :)

So why it might not be "necessary" to have 6 or more, its not really worth having any if you only have 2, because you never see their beauty anyway that way. :( With 6 or more you will be sure to always see some, especially right around dusk ive found mine are most active and can usually find almost all of them.

Exactly this^^^^^

OP if you only buy two they won't be happy as they are a social fish.

It'd be like getting just one Zebra danio or tiger barb :(