· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Yet Another Red Tailed Shark thread....

0 Not allowed!
    I see on most profiles that the minimum tank size for a RTS is 48". I was wondering if one could like comfortably in a 36" 35 gallon tank if he was the only fish in the tank? Or is it just too cramped?
    Livestreaming my 220 Gallon Aquarium
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers
    20 Harlequins, Neons, Platies, Guppies, Cories, Nerite Snails
    55 Silver Dollars, Pearl Gourami, Hillstream Loach, Mollies, Serpae Tetras, African Dwarf Frog, Leopard Bush Fish, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Chocolate Talking Cat, Banjo Cat
    55 Red, Blue, Boesemani Rainbows, Zebra Dainos, Zebra Loaches, Platies, Moonlight Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco
    35 Red Tailed Shark, Amazon Puffers
    220 Black Skirt, Lemon Tetras and Bala Sharks

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Good on you for doing the research.

Considering that you know what an RTS needs... The real question is actually this:

Why do you want to house a fish somewhere that does not meet it's requirements.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Good on you for doing the research.

Considering that you know what an RTS needs... The real question is actually this:

Why do you want to house a fish somewhere that does not meet it's requirements.
    Well, I figured most people house them with other fish, and the 48" tank would help with territoriality. I thought if it was all his territory, maybe he'd be ok in a 36. Badman's profile says 36" is minimum tank size, and another site said they need a yard of their own territory, which is 36". So I guess what I'm asking is, is 48" really necessary for this fish to be content, if the territory is all his?

See, when I do my research, I don't just read one profile. Then, if the profiles conflict, I ask opinions from people with hands on experience with the fish.
    This site does not list a minimum tank size on it's profile page on the RTS, that I can see.
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers
    55 Silver Dollars, Pearl Gourami, Hillstream Loach, Mollies, Serpae Tetras, African Dwarf Frog, Leopard Bush Fish, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Chocolate Talking Cat, Banjo Cat
    55 Red, Blue, Boesemani Rainbows, Zebra Dainos, Zebra Loaches, Platies, Moonlight Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    I like the way you are thinking wrt research.

That was my thought also that since it was all his own territory it might be ok but I was curious lol. I do agree that a large part of why the 48" is heard so often is most likely for the protection of other stock in the tank.

This is not an issue for you so I say go for it.

Actually, I don't have any issues with RTS being solo in a 3' tank and I do think Badmans is an excellent source.

Years ago I kept one [Re-homed due to aggresion] but have no recent experiences to offer.

Good luck.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've always thought they were good looking fish. My fish tank was a 20, which of course was too small. Then I got a 55, but I worried about an RTS harassing my rainbowfish to death, so I held off. Same thing for my next 55, worried about the other fish. And I just can't bring myself to dedicating a 48" 55 gallon tank to a single 6" fish.

The 35 housed a ryukin goldfish. He died. (I'm the only person on earth who has no trouble keeping tropical fish alive, but kills a goldfish) :( So I thought if it was large enough I could redecorate and get a heater and FINALLY get an RTS.

Shame bout the goldfish. I have a Tetra Whisper 45 and an Aquaclear 70 on that tank, managed to keep the ammonia at zero and nitrates at 5 ppm, and he still died.
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Bummer about your GF. But I DO have to congratulate you on your knowledge and discipline in applying that knowledge.

Knowledge without application is useless but you did what was right so good on you dude. Nice job.

I agree they are good looking fish, Just too much of a PITA for some other tank mates at times you know... Too much for me anyway :-P

Enjoy your RTS .
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 09-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.