· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    I stopped by PetSmart today and asked about their water params and if they've been having any issues with their new stock of Serpaes. Params match mine and they haven't seen/heard any issues. I talked to the girl for a few and we stumbled onto something... the plants.

I would suggest that my tank is heavily planted with cabomba, anubias, swordplants (big & small), and ludwigia. She mentioned that it could be oxygen deficiency. I didn't think of this, because of my filter & pump, but it's possible that there's just too many plants which are giving off CO2 at night, and the air flow doesn't compensate - which could be why I only have a couple of deaths every other day. It would make sense that that's why my fish are only dying at night, as well.

Soo... I purchased a new air air pump with a couple of air stones. I'm hoping these will help alleviate the O2 problem and save my fishes!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, didn't even think of that!!! Well that would be a simple fix then wouldn't it?

Let us know how it works out!

EDIT: Don't plants produce oxygen in the water as well?? I thought plants sucked up CO2 and made O2.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, didn't even think of that!!! Well that would be a simple fix then wouldn't it?

Let us know how it works out!

EDIT: Don't plants produce oxygen in the water as well?? I thought plants sucked up CO2 and made O2.
    They do oxygenate the water during the day, when light is present. However, they give off CO2 at night.

Can't believe I forgot about this... I even read about it before planting everything. =X

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be interested in hearing whether adding the pump worked as I have had heavily planted tanks with no surface movement at all, and no problems with regards to oxygen, one of which was, incidentally, stocked with serpae tetras.
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyKat
    I would be interested in hearing whether adding the pump worked as I have had heavily planted tanks with no surface movement at all, and no problems with regards to oxygen, one of which was, incidentally, stocked with serpae tetras.
    I had 1 Serpae and 1 Phantom death after adding the air stones, but it looked like the Phantom died from a parasite. The Serpae, it looks like, had no problem. However, I tested my params after it died (again), and my ammonia spiked. I think it has something to do with my current snail problem. I need to get them under wraps, because they're really getting out of hand. I did two water changes before I left for vacation. It actually got up to .5ppm Ammonia after the Phantom died. It was only a few days since I tested prior and I had 0 Ammonia. Crazy...

Anyway, I cleaned out the filter and I had at least 20 snails in there. That doesn't account for however many snails had died, and how many snails are in the tank. I need to buy some assassins and let them go to town, because that's just ridiculous.

Anyway, I did my water changes, cleaned out the filter, and was back to normal again. I left for 4 days without feeding them, and I'm happy to report that everyone's still alive. They were ready to eat, that's for sure. They went to town.

I think I've got things under control, because since my bubblers were added, my deaths stopped for a few days - then I had the parasite & water quality issue. Now, to rid the tank of snails and bg algae. Then I should be looking good.

I'm curious - you didn't have a filter in your tank, creating water flow or breaking the surface tension? How did you accomplish this, without killing fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Ya know Kevin, a dwarf puffer tank would fix that snail problem right up!

;)
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Ya know Kevin, a dwarf puffer tank would fix that snail problem right up!

;)
    lol, is he flying through them? I wish I could put one in with my Serpaes & Killifish, but I'm sure that it'd kill something other than the snails... or would be eaten by a Killifish (now that I've seen how small yours started out). ;P

0 Not allowed!
    There are snail shells everywhere! I've really got to get in there and get them all out.

As far as I can tell the snails aren't going to be able to keep up with him in their breeding. I have a few snails in my 55g for this purpose, but I'm probably going to end up having to buy more.

0 Not allowed!
    There are snail shells everywhere! I've really got to get in there and get them all out.

As far as I can tell the snails aren't going to be able to keep up with him in their breeding. I have a few snails in my 55g for this purpose, but I'm probably going to end up having to buy more.
    Haha, that's awesome! I'm happy to hear he's eating well. If I had an easy way of collecting and shipping my pond snails to you, I certainly would. Hell, if you know how, let me know and I'll do it. I know how to collect a bunch, but now how to ship them.