· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default One Serpae Tetra losing pigmentation?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I just purchased 7 Serpae Tetras from PetSmart the other day, stocking my tank for the first time. 7 Serpaes (+3 from my 10gal) and 10 Black Phantoms.

I've already had 4 deaths (of unknown causes). I returned two to get replacements and I have 2 others in my freezer - I'm just waiting for the casualty count to increase, as I expect this is bad stock.

However, if I can help prevent deaths I would love to. Unfortunately, my camera is with my wife, so I can't provide any pictures, but please let me know if you can help me out here.

Another of my Serpaes looks like it's sick or stressed. I just noticed today that there's a discoloration in the tail (from the dorsal fin back to where the caudal fin begins). The color is more grayish... and I'm not sure if it's a growth or it's just lack of pigmentation. I don't see any raised scales, but this fish is hiding in the foliage in the background. I can't get a real close look, because every time I approach the tank, he/she (looks larger, so I assume it's probably a female) returns to its' hiding place. While it turns, I can see that both sides of the tail are grayish.

Has anyone noticed this among Serpaes before? Do you know what could cause this and if it's an infection?

I have a QT tank at the ready, but if it's extremely contagious I'll probably have to dose the whole tank anyway, as a precaution.

Unfortunately I only have big-box stores to choose from, so I assume their stock is sickly and I expect that the first 4 deaths won't be the end... BUT if I can prevent it, I'd love to do so.

Thanks! I should be able to get a picture (hopefully) later tonight or tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm not sure if she'll make it through the night. It seems every death in the tank occurs overnight.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    That many fish do not suddenly die off unless something is wrong. Too much of a temp change or something got to them. The tetra that has lost his color sounds to be another victim and is stressed out.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, Hobbs has a point there. Do you know if your temps are dropping during the night?

I've been having to watch mine VERY closely because of the changing seasons.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    That many fish do not suddenly die off unless something is wrong. Too much of a temp change or something got to them. The tetra that has lost his color sounds to be another victim and is stressed out.
    I wonder if I dropped my temperature too fast? When I finally added them to the tank, it was 83'. Over the next day I dropped it to 82' and I've been gradually decreasing the temperature to 79'. Today it's 80'. I got them on the 19th, so it's been 4 days. Do you think that's the reason? I don't know if the temp is dropping at night, but I don't believe so. Unless things drastically change between 2am and 8am, then I don't think overnight temps should be a prob.

As for my filter, yes it's cycled. I fishless cycled and have a reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. I had the same readings when I added the fish on the 19th. My pH is 7.0 and my gH/kH are 5'. I'm unsure of what the parameters of the store are, but I purchased a Betta at the same time and added him to my 10gal and he's doing fine. Same params in my 10gal, except it was always at 79' and the pH is 7.2.

My QT tank isn't capable of QTing 20 fish at the same time, due to it only being 10gal. These were the first additions to my tank (20 tetras to compensate for the addition of ammonia to keep the good bacteria fed - it's a 75gal tank).

Oh, and I would say that it's moderately to heavily planted. You can take a look at the pictures in my journal in my signature, if you'd like more information on what it looks like.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 09-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    stocking my tank for the first time.
    Ah - I somehow missed this in the OP. My bad totally.

I was not crystal on this being your initial stocking of the tank.

I still have no idea though, I hope you get a handle on whatever it is.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Ah - I somehow missed this in the OP. My bad totally.

I was not crystal on this being your initial stocking of the tank.

I still have no idea though, I hope you get a handle on whatever it is.

Thanks 850R - not a problem. =] I do plan on using the QT for the remainder of my stocking, as I'll be having much less of each additional fish. After I wait about a week for things to settle down (hopefully I'll have my numbers rounded out with sturdy Tetras), I'll QT the additional replacement tetras. I'd still like a nice round number in their schools.

It's just frustrating to see so many deaths in 4 days. I have no idea what's going on, especially with the deaths occurring at night. I'll be counting them the next morning and all of a sudden I'll see a tail sticking out of the rocks, or I'll see one attached to the driftwood... and twice, I've had to pry them off the pump (finless). =/ Now, every time I turn away from the tank I get paranoid.

I hope it's nothing I'm doing. They really do seem to be enjoying their time in there and I've even seen some mating rituals going on with both species.

0 Not allowed!
    You know... I was watching the Serpae that has this gray coloration tonight. He was doing fine until about 12:00pm-12:30am. It was at this point that I decided to get my QT ready to go. I have it all setup and just as I was about to get him to put him in the QT, he disappeared. I can't find him anywhere... not dead, swimming or otherwise. It's at this time, where I can understand why a moderately-heavily planted tank could become problematic. lol

I'll check one more time before bed, but if I can't find him this time, he's on his own and it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Hopefully I don't find him sucked to the pump. =/
    Last edited by KevinVA; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you cycle the filter first? If no, that is the cause of your problem. If yes, then how? Describe process and provide numbers.

Are all the tetras roughly the same size? What size?

How did you acclimatise them? What was the difference between your tank parameters and the shop parameters, if you know?

How planted is the tank?

Finally, what are the exact water paramenters in the tank right now?
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

Question

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry I have no diagnosis to offer but I do have a question..

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    I have a QT tank at the ready, but if it's extremely contagious I'll probably have to dose the whole tank anyway, as a precaution.
    This being the case I am having a hard time understanding the rationale behind the decision to go from the store directly into the display tank as opposed to; From the store to the QT tank?

It's the easiest way to prevent having issues like this in the main tank.

You didn't mention it - Have you done a full rundown of water parameters? Do so and post them please.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.