· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Another ?...boseman tankmates?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I recently posted about my pitifully small tank and my cycling upgrade. I will have my four rainbows in there...one is an australian, and three are bosemans. My new tank is 55g, 48"...not ideal, I know, but a bit better than what they have now.

My question is: other than my guppies (which I am stuck with because my daughters love them), can I even begin to think about adding other, smaller, schooling fish in the 55? Nothing slow-moving or slow-witted, right?

Could I add, say, a small school of corys for the bottom? I have noticed that my rainbows have very little interest in the bottom third of the tank. Has anyone successfully pulled this off? I am a bit concerned as the pH of my water is 8.0, perhaps not great for corys to begin with.

And, if DH wants a small school of tetras, could he have that?

I just have no idea what to do with this tank, now that it looks like my cycling attempt may be successful. I just don't know how to stock it...the rainbows take total first priority though. If nobody else goes in there, it's fine. But I just want to ask smart people before I go and make a dumb set of decisions.

0 Not allowed!
    Rainbows will eat tetra's so I would stay away from them. Bows have a big mouth but a small throat but manage to get them down. Cories will be fine and also some larger tetra's.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will def. steer Dh in the direction of larger tetras. Or I will just pick. God knows I am researching like a madwoman. It'll be November sometime before we are ready to add any new fish....assuming the cycle completes in a couple of weeks and transferring the existing fish goes well.

It's so very exciting to know that in addition to somewhat ameliorating the situation for my bows, I get some new fish! And cool ones too! Of course, these will be added slowly (if at all...IDK what is available here).

And I don't have to be stupid about taking care of these fish either! I'm so grateful for the information.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Laddy Hobbs about bigger Tetras. You could get some Rummy Nose although they like their PH lower than Rainbows. Lemon Tetras, Diamond Tetras and Serpae should make good tank mates as they are not as fussy about PH. I usually don't like to recommend Serpae but Rainbows move so fast I don't believe they woulf bother them at all.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have eight red eye tetras. They're pretty good size, a bit bigger than some suggested to have with the Bosemani Rainbows. I also have a five panda corries, along with a few others. I'm planning on getting six bosemani's in the near future.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a spawning group of 9 Melanotaenia Bosemani in a 75 gallon. Each is about 5 inches in length, they are only 2 years old at this point. They live to be 10 or so. I've seen larger, keep this in mind when choosing housing for them.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had sterbai and emerald corys with rainbows before. No problems ever arose from keeping them together.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels
    I have a spawning group of 9 Melanotaenia Bosemani in a 75 gallon. Each is about 5 inches in length, they are only 2 years old at this point. They live to be 10 or so. I've seen larger, keep this in mind when choosing housing for them.

I totally know this. I made the decision to keep them because my 55g long may be better for them than some yahoo that buys them from the LFS I would sell them to. And there is only four...three bosemans and one 9 year old australian.

I figure I will keep the old girl with me no matter what. The others, I hope, will be OK in my 55g, 48"long tank with her.

I am sincerely trying to be humane.Really really.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT
    I totally know this. I made the decision to keep them because my 55g long may be better for them than some yahoo that buys them from the LFS I would sell them to. And there is only four...three bosemans and one 9 year old australian.

I figure I will keep the old girl with me no matter what. The others, I hope, will be OK in my 55g, 48"long tank with her.

I am sincerely trying to be humane.Really really.
    Good on you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    Good on you.
    ++

Another tetra to consider is the Colombian. They are about 2 - 2 1/4 inches, nice robust fish, not nippers. They don't school exactly, but tend to like each others company and stay in a loose group so they show nicely. very nice hardy fish. I have 8 in my 30 and they're gorgeous.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492