· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

Default Lo's Fluval Chi 6.6 Gallon (Office)

0 Not allowed!
    Lo's Fluval Chi 6.6 Gallon

Tank Specs:
    • Size: 6.6 US Gallons
    • Dimentions: 10(L) x 10(D) x 16(H)

Equiptment:
    • Heater: I'd like to do under-gravel, suggestions??
    • Filter: The built-in
    • Lighting: The built-in plus natural, indirect lighting

Plants:
    • Background: Hoping for Ambulia
    • Midground: Anubias Nana attached to driftwood
    • Foreground: Possibly dwarf hairgrass or something similar(200)

Other:
    • Substrate: Eco-Complete mixed with Tahitian Moon Sand
    • Decorations: Drift wood

Fish Plan:
    *** This list is subject to change. ***
    • Algae Eaters: 2-3 Otocinclus Catfish (not definite)
    • Centerpiece: 1 Male Betta
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to buy my tank tomorrow and set it up this weekend or the beginning of next week. I plan to put the filter media into one of the two AquaClears on my 29 gallon for a few days to get it cycled!

How long would I need to run them through the filter? A week? Or would less time suffice?
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

Journal

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    :) Just ordered my tank! It should be here on Tuesday, so I'll set it up then! I'm going to pick up filter media today on my way home to put it into one of my aquaclears, that way by the time I get my fish (I think that'll be on Thursday or Friday) it will be all cycled and ready to go!

I'm going to have to look around and see what plants I can find locally and hunt down a nice piece of driftwood.
    Journal

Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Lo, what kind of substrate do you have in the 29 gallon tank? Is it gravel by any chance?

Oh, better yet, take a few pieces of biomax out of one of the ACs on the 29 and put them in a media bag and drop the bag into the chi and let it rest on the bottom for a couple of weeks. That should get the media in the chi populated with BB. Gravel from the 29 would work, too.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Hey Lo, what kind of substrate do you have in the 29 gallon tank? Is it gravel by any chance?

Oh, better yet, take a few pieces of biomax out of one of the ACs on the 29 and put them in a media bag and drop the bag into the chi and let it rest on the bottom for a couple of weeks. That should get the media in the chi populated with BB. Gravel from the 29 would work, too.
    Ooh, that's a good idea! :D thanks!

I am using the exact same substrate that's in the 29! When I set the tank up, scoop some of the substrate from my tank at home and add it to what's being put in the chi. :) Thanks for the advice!
    Journal

Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Biomax from your ACs on the 29 would work too. Just put some in a baggie with used tank water from the 29 on the day you set up the chi. As long as you keep the biomax wet, the BB should be ok until you put them in the media bag and drop it into the chi. You can always replace the biomax in the filter on the 29 with new biomax purchased at a the store if you have one near you.

I'm not sure if the eco-complete\tahitian moon sand would carry enough BB to populate the chi filter...maybe it would...but I wouldn't count on it.

Just a thought.

HTH :)
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Went to Petco today to check out plants and driftwood... Bought some, then went back to look at the bettas to kill time.

I found a beautiful halfmoon Betta!! I bought him, because I didn't want to risk someone seeing him and taking him.

The poor thing was in water that had to have been 65 degrees or lower. I filled a large 2 gallon pitcher a little more than halfway, put in a heater and a plant and acclmated him, then put him in. It's not ideal, but he's spending the night in there. The tank arrives tomorrow, so I think he will be fine until then! Much better than being in a bowl of cold water!

He is swimming around actively and he ate, which is a great sign! ^_^ his colors have also brightened up quite a bit!!
    Journal

Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Meet Aries!!

Journal

Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

His tank will be here shortly! Can't wait!
    Journal

Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Today... disaster struck.

I'll just copy and paste from my vent post earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    So, I ordered a 6.6 fluval chi from amazon.com. It arrived today, but they shipped it to my house instead of my office.

I had a HORRIBLE day at work today and had been looking forward to my tank arriving all day... only to find out it was sent to the wrong address. It finally arrived at my house at 6:30 tonight, so I had to drive 40 minutes back home to pick it up, then 40 minutes back to my office to install it, so my fish wouldn't remain in the bowl all night.

I opened it up, and it is TOTALLY SHATTERED.

I admit it, I actually sat and cried for about 10 minutes.

Then, I went to petco and had to pay $20 MORE than I paid for the 6.6 online for the 5 even though I wanted the 6.6, because otherwise I have to wait until Thursday evening to put this poor Betta into a tank!

I'm SO upset right now!

I decided that in a few weeks, I'll order a new 6.6 gallon and put the 5 away for a Christmas gift for my sister and baby nephew. He loves fish and she's been wanting a betta for a long time.

The tank is set up finally. I'm not 100% pleased with it. Realized too late that half the plants I bought weren't aquatic. (Peacock ferns. An initial google search while I was in the store brought up all aquatic plant info, so I bought them.)

I'm irritated about that, and the tank looks very sparse because of it. I'll order some ambulia down the road like I wanted and add it to the back when I get the 6.6 though.

For now, he seems happy. I've been watching him for the past half hour and he doesn't seem stressed. He's very active and curious. The water is still a little cloudy from the sand, but I expect it'll be clear by the time I get back in the morning.

I hate leaving him overnight without supervision, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Anyways, here's a picture, for now:

Journal

Journal