· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no, Ick !!!

Default Oh no, Ick !!!

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes you just can’t win. 3 weeks ago we found a power brown tang at our SW LFS and watched him at the store for a week. He was eating and acting healthy. But just to be safe I ask the store to hold him for me for another week so I could watch him some more. By the end of the second week the store owner noticed flukes on him, treated him, and kept him at the store for a third week. After that treatment he looked perfectly healthy.

We picked him up last night and acclimated him to our 20 gallon QT tank. He was acting normal, exploring the tank, and he ate. This morning when I went to check on him he was covered in ick. Just goes to show you even when you try to do everything right, your new fish could still be carrying something.

I’m treating his ick with copper right now. Hopefully in 3 weeks this will all be a bad memory for this little fish. You can't really see the white spots on him in the below pic as I kept getting a reflection on the glass everytime I tried to take a picture.

The rock in the picture is some non-porous rock that I am using for decoration only to try and make the little fish feel more comfortable. This rock will get a good soak in fresh water before I use it as decoration in a QT tank again. As it has been exposed to copper I can never use it in any of my main tanks
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice little fish Cliff, I'm sure you will have him cured in no time
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    A great lesson for everyone that's just starting out in the hobby, Cliff. Watch your choice of fish and watch it some more. And quarantine them, regardless of whether or not they look healthy. It could very well save your entire display tank. Well saved!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys

Hopefully this little tang will start eating again soon and make a quick and full recovery
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Bit of a bummer to have to delay putting this guy into your main tank. I'm sure he'll get there tho.

Just goes to show, how stressful changing environments are for fish even when everything is done right.

0 Not allowed!
    He started picking at his algae clip a little tonight. That`s a great sign

I`ve had to treat FW ick before, but this is the first time I`ve had to treat marine ick, or anything in marine fish other thank flukes or parasites. It`s a little nerve racking for me.
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    As I am away from home right now (work realated) my wife is taking care of this little fish. I was please to hear that he is well on his way to recovery. He has developed a very good appetite and there is almost no sign of ick anymore. My wife had been feeding him some copepods and mysis (just a little and only once a day) and he won't wast any time finding and eating this food in addition to picking at his algae almost all day long now.

We are still going to treat for the full duration as suggestion on the meds, but I'm sure glad to find out this early there has been very good improvements this early in his treatment

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad your wee fellas on the mend Cliff!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Never expected any different considering who was looking after him, but good news all the same! You'll have to post pics when you put him in his new home!

0 Not allowed!
    And how happy are you that you didn't just drop him in your big tank!