· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tank

1. Default My Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here goes:

I have a freshwater tank (10 gallon) and have four rosy red minnows, along with a gray plastic hollow-rock, a large rocky reef decoration, and an imitation aquatic weed. My pleco died yesterday, and when I took it out, it had a green-ish slime coating coming off of it. Now, what I'm going to most likely be purchasing in the next week or so:

50 Gallon Glass Rectangular Prism Aquarium
    Aquarium Filter (Penguin 200)
    Algae Wafers (For The Otocinclus)
    Submersible Aquarium Heater

Is all of this necessary for the 50 gallon I'm going to buy? How many Otos do I need to buy for a 50 gallon (I think two according to recent research)? What was the dead pleco's slime coating?

The tools I have are:

Siphon Gravel Vacuum
    8 feet of clear air tubing
    Waste Bucket

2 more spare filters for the Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter on my 10 gallon.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How long has your 10gal been set up?
    Not sure how your pleco died as I've never heard of a green slim coat on a fish before. But if your tank isn't cycled yet, then bottom feeders are the first to suffer and die.

I would recommend a canister filter for a 50gal, or I would recommend have 2 Penguin 350's on a 50gallon. (you need a minimum of 2x filtration for a tank)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've cycled the tank three times now. I drain about 20% of the water each time, then fill up a bucket with tap water, then treat it with some Bio-Fresh De-chlorinator and water aging liquid, then I pour it in. Maybe my tank needs a cover? Oh and, if I do decide to breed my minnows, would it be smart to put some plastic cups in the other 10 gallon so they can have a place to spawn? Oh and, I've read a thread here about something called a fish highway or fish bridge. Can I buy one of these or can I make one out of clear 2 1/2 inch PVC for the minnows? BTW, another minnow dies today :'(. The water temp is around 69-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Would this temperature kill them? The other ones look lively as ever.

0 Not allowed!
    Why would you cycle your tank three times?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquahead1
    I've cycled the tank three times now. I drain about 20% of the water each time, then fill up a bucket with tap water, then treat it with some Bio-Fresh De-chlorinator and water aging liquid, then I pour it in. Maybe my tank needs a cover? Oh and, if I do decide to breed my minnows, would it be smart to put some plastic cups in the other 10 gallon so they can have a place to spawn? Oh and, I've read a thread here about something called a fish highway or fish bridge. Can I buy one of these or can I make one out of clear 2 1/2 inch PVC for the minnows? BTW, another minnow dies today :'(. The water temp is around 69-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Would this temperature kill them? The other ones look lively as ever.

Oh boy-lots of questions for you :)
    What do you mean you have cycled the tank 3 times now?
    Can you get the names of the de chlorinator that you use?
    What is the "water aging liquid" you speak of?

My tank doesn't have a cover, covers are only used if you have fish that have a tendency to jump.

let's worry about the tank/parameters/fish before we get into the breeding. I feel we have a lot to cover before that discussion happens.

Default All my tanks are topless.

0 Not allowed!
    Please detail your cycling process for us.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I'm a little excited that I have an aquarium, but sad that three of my six fish have died. By cycled three times, I mean cycled three times in the past three months. Isn't a cycle when you drain about 15%-20% of the water n your tank? I read when you remove all of the water, it kills the good beneficial bacteria in your tank.

De-Chlorinator and Water Aging Agent = TetraAqua AquaSafe (with new BioExtract) Water Conditioner

Minnow Food - Atlantis Goldfish Flake Food (That's what the guy at petsmart said to feed them...)

Old Pleco Food = TetraNature Grazing Block with Algae

EDIT 1:

How I Cycle - I wash my hands, and rinse for about three minutes :/. I drain about 20% of the water with my siphon after I clean it, fill up a clean bucket with tap water, put a good squirt of TetraAqua AquaSafe in it, stir it with my hand, and pour it in near the flow of filtered water from the filter.
    Last edited by aquahead1; 09-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I'm a little excited that I have an aquarium, but sad that three of my six fish have died. By cycled three times, I mean cycled three times in the past three months. Isn't a cycle when you drain about 15%-20% of the water n your tank? I read when you remove all of the water, it kills the good beneficial bacteria in your tank.

De-Chlorinator and Water Aging Agent = TetraAqua AquaSafe (with new BioExtract) Water Conditioner

Minnow Food - Atlantis Goldfish Flake Food (That's what the guy at petsmart said to feed them...http://cdn2.hackforums.net/images/smilies/huh.gif)

Old Pleco Food = TetraNature Grazing Block with Algae

We have a few sticky's to read on the cycle.
    You only cycle the tank once
    then add the fish appropriately.
    the BB (beneficial bacteria) live in your filter. not the water.
    So doing water changes does nothing to your cycle.

That being said.....
    if in the past 3 months you have only done a water change of 20% once a month. I'm surprised all your fish are not dead. you need to do a minimum of 20% weekly. ( i recommend 50% weekly though) people have different preferences. but no reason not to do 50% changes on a 10gal tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Read that baby-on how to cycle and see if that is close to anything you have done when setting up your tank or currently.

0 Not allowed!
    Mizz - It isn't.

Sorry I'm a little excited that I have an aquarium, but sad that three of my six fish have died. By cycled three times, I mean cycled three times in the past three months. Isn't a cycle when you drain about 15%-20% of the water n your tank? No, It isn't.I read when you remove all of the water, it kills the good beneficial bacteria in your tank.WC do not remove any BB as they live primarily in the filter biomedai NOT in the water column itself.

De-Chlorinator and Water Aging Agent = TetraAqua AquaSafe (with new BioExtract) Water Conditioner. Ok

Minnow Food - Atlantis Goldfish Flake Food (That's what the guy at petsmart said to feed them... Not your best bet I am thinking but I have never kept them.

Old Pleco Food = TetraNature Grazing Block with Algae Never used it.
    Please read this sticky about cycling with fish - It details what you will be doing for a while to save your fish.

And do MORE water changes, I suggest you do one now and not 20%, More like 75%. Do you have a test kit to test your water with?

Btw, I mean right now & I mean before you read the next post. Preferably before you read the next sentence.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 09-18-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.