· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question fin rot or nipping on my colombian tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    This morning I just noticed something that looks like it might be fin rot on the tips of a couple of my Colombian Tetras tails, also one spot on the tip of a dorsal fin. The areas affected are very small, pale - almost white - and not at all cottony or raised. If it is fin rot, I'm really puzzled because I take good care of the water.

My water perimeters are: A=0, Trites=0, Trates less than 20. I do 35% - 50% W/C weekly and keep my filters clean and vacuum the substrate regularly. filtration: Aquean HOB 30, Aquaclear HOB 50

I've had these Colombians for several months - healthy, happy, eat well. A couple of weeks ago, though, I added 6 serpea tetras (after quarantine). The serpeas look great, no tail or finnage issues.

What do you think? Do I suspect fin rot on the Colombians or is it possible the serpeas might be nipping? I'm not seeing it happening - the tank appears really harmonious (yes, even with the 3 dwarf gouramis which have been in there forever).

Should I treat the tank for fin rot just as a precaution?

Or is it more likely the serpeas might be causing the trouble?

I tried to snap a photo - but those tetras will not cooperate.

thanks
    Last edited by fishmommie; 09-18-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Hey FM, just saw this...

Not sure if you received an answer via PM or not, but it's possible that the Serpaes (or even Columbians) are nipping at them. From what I've seen of my own, Serpaes tend to chase/nip each other, but leave the other fish in the tank alone.

I have seen Phantoms chase Serpaes out of their territory, but I rarely ever see a Serpae chasing a Phantom... and when I had 3 in my 10gal with my Dwarf Gourami, they always left him alone. He would chase them around every once in a while, but they never nipped at him.

Fin rot should be pretty noticeable. The fins will look pretty ragged and decayed/droopy at the ends - kind of like a rotting leaf on an aquatic plant. The ends will also be white. Nipping looks like little bites have literally been taken out of the fins.

It would be helpful to have a picture to judge by.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Kevin. thanks for the reply. All is well. I think there was a little 'new kid on the block' nipping going on. They seem to all have worked it out and whatever issues I saw have gone away. Kids will be kids LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Hi
    This morning I just noticed something that looks like it might be fin rot on the tips of a couple of my Colombian Tetras tails, also one spot on the tip of a dorsal fin. The areas affected are very small, pale - almost white - and not at all cottony or raised. If it is fin rot, I'm really puzzled because I take good care of the water.

My water perimeters are: A=0, Trites=0, Trates less than 20. I do 35% - 50% W/C weekly and keep my filters clean and vacuum the substrate regularly. filtration: Aquean HOB 30, Aquaclear HOB 50

I've had these Colombians for several months - healthy, happy, eat well. A couple of weeks ago, though, I added 6 serpea tetras (after quarantine). The serpeas look great, no tail or finnage issues.

What do you think? Do I suspect fin rot on the Colombians or is it possible the serpeas might be nipping? I'm not seeing it happening - the tank appears really harmonious (yes, even with the 3 dwarf gouramis which have been in there forever).

Should I treat the tank for fin rot just as a precaution?

Or is it more likely the serpeas might be causing the trouble?

I tried to snap a photo - but those tetras will not cooperate.

thanks
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    No prob. =] Glad everything's fine.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.