· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Stocking & Introduction order for 75gal

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I'm finally ready to add fish to my 75gal, after doing about 3 large water change and 1 smaller, but still kinda' large water change. ;] My trates were ridiculous, but now read 5ppm.

After researching different fish and taking the advice of others, I think I've come to a somewhat complete stocking for my tank.

I've read (on here) that you should add your bottom dwellers later throughout the intro phasees, but I'm curious as to which fish should be added first, due to their behavior, ie - claiming/establishing their territories, etc.

Here's the planned stock:

3-4 x Golden Killifish
    10 x Serpae Tetras
    10 x Black Skirt Tetras (or 3-4 Turquoise Rainbow Fish)
    1 x Blue Paradise Fish or Opaline Gourami
    1 x BN Pleco (I was thinking of getting a fancier one, but the BNs have grown on me)
    4-5 x Cories (Emerald, perhaps) OR maybe some bamboo shrimp
    2-4 x German Blue Rams
    1-2 x Assassin Snails

Can you mix GBRs with Bolivian Rams? I've read that two male GBRs can't be homed together, so I was thinking if I had 1 male GBR w/ 1-2 females, and 1 male Bolivian w/ 1-2 females, they'd be ok?

Do you think the Rainbows would be too active for this stocking?

Sorry for the "this or that" conundrum... I have so many things I'd like to have, due to the amount of options out there.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say fire in all your tetras, leave it a few weeks, then add your rams and gourami, all at the same time. Probably get the killies in just before the gouramis and rams. Have the tank set up about 2 months before getting any bottom dwellers
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks SF, I appreciate it.

0 Not allowed!
    My only qualm with that stock list is that 4-5 cories is not enough IMO. I would add 8+. You have room for it.

Also, I would probably stick to tetras instead of rainbows. Raimbows like very high pH water and gbrs like very low, so you have opposite ends of the spectrum there.

If you pick both bolivians and gbrs I would ditch the other bottom dwellers like the cories so the dwarf cichlids can have the whole bottom to themselves. Sticking with one species of ram would probably be better. You may find the spare female gets picked on by the pair after the other 2 pair up.

Also watch out for fin nipping as serpaes can be nippy. Rosy or Red Phantom Tetras make good alternatives.

hope I helped.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    My only qualm with that stock list is that 4-5 cories is not enough IMO. I would add 8+. You have room for it.

Also, I would probably stick to tetras instead of rainbows. Raimbows like very high pH water and gbrs like very low, so you have opposite ends of the spectrum there.

If you pick both bolivians and gbrs I would ditch the other bottom dwellers like the cories so the dwarf cichlids can have the whole bottom to themselves. Sticking with one species of ram would probably be better. You may find the spare female gets picked on by the pair after the other 2 pair up.

Also watch out for fin nipping as serpaes can be nippy. Rosy or Red Phantom Tetras make good alternatives.

hope I helped.
    You most certainly did. =]

I'll add to the cory school. I've seen Emeralds in the store and assumed they all got that big. Now that I've looked into it, I've found some species that would seem better in a bigger school. Hopefully they carry the species that I like at Petsmart or Petco. I'm looking at Pandas, False Julii, Peppered or Skunk. They all look great and if they act anything like the Emeralds, they should be fun to watch.

Good to know about the Rainbows, too. I had figured already, that they might not fit into the stock, because they get pretty big and are also very active. They'd probably need a bigger school, tank with more current.

As for the rams, I think I'll take your advice on those, as well. I think I'll try a few GBRs and see how that goes. Hopefully I end up with a male and female, and if one of them starts to get beat up, I can put her in a QT tank and re-home or return it to the store.

I've actually never seen those tetras before - wish I had, they're just as pretty as the Serpaes. The reason I'm building a school of Serpaes, though, is that I have 3 in my 10gal that I'm going to re-home to the 75. I've had them since March and I'm at a point where I can build their school now that the 75 is ready to go. =] They've actually taken to their 10gal, though. They've staked claims to their own areas and when it's feeding time, they all come to the front of the tank. Pretty fun fish to watch and I'm surprised at how well they do with there only being 3.

Thanks Amelia - always great to get your advice! =]

0 Not allowed!
    Emerald Cories aren't actually cories at all -- they're from the Brochis family and get larger than cories. I have Sterbai and I like them a lot, Peppered I also like, they are a good, hardy choice. Pandas and False Julii aka. Three-Lined Cories are slightly smaller than the other species and slightly less tough. They make up for it by being adorable though.

You're right about the Rainbows -- I did a lot of research when I wanted to add some Boesmanni's to my tank and came to the conclusion that they're probably better off to be in their own LARGE tank with lots of other rainbows, and lots of current.

That's good about the Serpaes -- in a school that big hopefully they'll be too busy annoying each other to bother their tank mates. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have so many new friends!

Happy to help anytime, Eagle!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    Emerald Cories aren't actually cories at all -- they're from the Brochis family and get larger than cories. I have Sterbai and I like them a lot, Peppered I also like, they are a good, hardy choice. Pandas and False Julii aka. Three-Lined Cories are slightly smaller than the other species and slightly less tough. They make up for it by being adorable though.
    Ah, I see that. I didn't think to look at their scientific name. I guess people call them cories, because they look similar. Hrm, the Sterbai are great looking fish, as well. Luckily, I've got some time to think about it. =]

Thanks again!