· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Wild Angelfish or koi's

0 Not allowed!
    I found an online store Steve's Angels plus. That sells Angelfish of all kinds. Wild angelfish races, wild domestic hybrids, domestic hybrids/ect. I love the colors of the Wild angelfish, I'll post their races online later to see what PH they need from those who know more than I do.

My PH is 7.0 I had it tested awhile back when I was into Rams. What pH do you keep wild angels at VS Koi angels? Are Koi easier to keep then Wild angels?

I talked to Kim who talked to Gabe on my behalf she said we'll see for next year getting a fish tank I have yet to tell her what size I want. A 55 for the living room..

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most of the fish sold by Angels Plus are bred in captivity lines and have percentiles of wild gene bred into them rather than captured from the wild fish.

The advantage to keeping captive bred wild type stocks is that they are far easier to care for. You do not have to worry about diet requirements. You do not have to worry about special ranges of ph. You do not have to worry about weird wild pathogens and exotic diseases.

Steve has some nice stuff. My base stock for my black veil lines came from his lines and I crossed them into a couple of other lines to get more exotic expressions such as blush black, clown black, black blush or DD blush, Pinoy blue and DD, Black velvet DD and two doses of blush, and half black black.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The race of wild Angelfish I'm intrested in is the Manacapuru angels, they have mediums avaible- smallest and therefore cheapest size I could locate.. Also They have Peruivans. So captive bred wild types are just as easy as Koi Angels? I'll have to ask them if their Manacapuru mediums are captive bred and how much it would cost with shipping and handling..

This isn't until next year assuming I can get a 55 or larger tank.. If I have to use the 20 I may get wild type Kribbs.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsarecool
    The race of wild Angelfish I'm intrested in is the Manacapuru angels, they have mediums avaible- smallest and therefore cheapest size I could locate.. Also They have Peruivans. So captive bred wild types are just as easy as Koi Angels? I'll have to ask them if their Manacapuru mediums are captive bred and how much it would cost with shipping and handling..

This isn't until next year assuming I can get a 55 or larger tank.. If I have to use the 20 I may get wild type Kribbs.
    I'm fairly certain that he breeds all of his fish in his hatchery and does not trans ship or broker angelfish.

Color wise a captive bred will not be quite as colorful as it's truly wild counter part. It will be much easier to keep than a wild. From what I have seen Manacapurus get fairly large as compared to a straight domestic line, Peruvians are about the same size. Most wild trait partial wild genetic type fish have a very different temperament from the base domestic forms. Wilds look as though they are more aggressive as they flute and flash and flare much more than domestics, they do not usually make contact and if they do they seem to respect that it is damaging and make a lighter less aggressive contact. As far as which are easier the two types are about the same in care so long as they are captive bred as a Koi line captive bred fish. A wild captured fish will be more complex to house as you will need to keep it in a lower PH possibly and if you do breed them they may need special considerations for that. I like his Perus yet there are regional type races of Perus that are in my opinion much more visually appealing, they are quite rare though and not available as captive raised.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks for the info. So would a 55 gallon be too small for a mature Manacapuru angelfish? I was thinking about getting 1 Manacapuru angelfish and some large tetras or Rasboras and corys for the bottom.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That should be OK. You may be able to try 2 in there, you would either get two boys two girls or a pair. Rasboras may be a bit small to keep with Manas. I think he has a minimum purchase rate as well.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So you need a Min of 2 in order to order from his site?.... I will ask him. I emailed him to see if a 55 with larger tetras, rasboras would be compatable, (Which types would you subjest?) with 1 angelfish, I really don't want a pair should they try and breed at the expense of the other fish or pick on each other.

Maybe if that's the case and assuming I can get a tank for myself that size I could give the other Manapuru to you and keep 1 for myself, if your intrested. I live in St Paul MN.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm fairly certain he has a dollar amount minimum for an order to be processed. No minimum on the quantity of fish but the purchase value.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just emailed him I told him I was looking at a single fish, type of Angelfish or at most 2 of those type, Manacupuru. Maybe I could get some filters/plants/ect to go with the order or something. I will ask about the dollar amount too.. didn't know about that. It just seems to me it doesn't make sense to buy more fish/supplies then what you need.

In any case it'll be awhile before I can save up enough to get a tank/fish. I was thinking next year at the earliest. How long does a fish-less cycle last ? Assuming again I can get the tank/find a source of suitable Ammonia to start it cycling.

I just checked at their Min Order it is $25 looks like I'll be getting a pair of Manacupurus when the time comes. Would you like one if they show aggression/decide to pair up.
    Last edited by Ramsarecool; 09-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, thank you for the offer though.