· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Pencil Fish

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default Pencil Fish

0 Not allowed!
    How many of you have kept Pencil Fish of any kind?

I've only been able to keep three of the spieces, the Three Lined, the Coral Red and the Harrison.

All the litature I read over the years painted them as shy and skitish. In my 75 gal with mostly tetras, this was far from the truth. They were always out front, raced the other fish to the top for food and the Red Corals were aggesive when other fish approached thier percieved area.

Even the two Harrisons, yes just two, lived three years and never left each others side. I only had two because I ordered nine Three lined from Foster and Smith and recieved seven Three Lined and the two Harrisons and was never able to locate any more.

If anybody has kept any of the others please share your experiance espically if you have kept the Dwarf spieces.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Some pics to stimulate coversation
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Ive kept dwarves, purples and reds... Only currently have purples but the dwarves had to be some of my favorite schoolers I've had. Purples arent quite as good at schooling and red arcs... Forget about it. Lol

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Always wanted to keep these. I've never seen them in any LFS though. I'll keep my eye out for them, though. The dwarf ones look awesome

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept some before would like to again.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    How about mixing them? The three lined never bothered the Harrisons but I read in the old Innes book from the 60's that if you mixed Dwarf's with Three Lined, the three lined would harras the dwarfs. Can anybody verify this through experiance?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pencil fish seem to be peaceful fish but fish will fight with related or smaller species no matter what their temperment.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to buy 8 dwarf's, they will be here today.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I ended up buying the three lined spieces. They have been in my Tank for three days now, seem to have settled in well. They are not intimitaded by the Emperor's like i thought they might.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well after two weeks in the tank I have found that they do not school as well as I remember LOL. They swim in all regions of the tank looking for food.