· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cyanobacteria not responding to hydrogen peroxide

0 Not allowed!
    I've started to develop a small outbreak of cyanobacteria in my 90 gallon tank. Right now there are maybe 8-10 quarter sized green patches on the gravel. Nothing serious yet, it doesn't have much of a foothold.

As I'm sure someone is going to tell me, the cyanobacteria will only come back if I don't treat the cause of it. I believe I've found the cause and I've fixed it. I hadn't rinsed my filter media in about 2 months, which it just started developing about a month ago. It was extremely nasty, I think that is a huge part of it. Also my algae wafers seem to disintegrate before they are half eaten. I think this is adding a lot of excess nutrients to the water. From now on I will be giving cucumber and zucchini to my algae eaters instead of the wafers. I think those two things together will definitely help reduce what is causing the cyano to grow.

As for my actual question. I've been told I can spot-treat the stuff with hydrogen peroxide and that will kill it within hours. I'm told not to add more than 1 or 2 ml per 10 gallons at a time. 6 hours ago I spot treated 5 ml's (with an eye-dropper) to see how well it works. The part that is confusing me is that it isn't bubbling. Peroxide should bubble when exposed to cyano, or just about anything organic. Why isn't it bubbling? I should be been able to see some effect on the cyano in 6 hours, and it hasn't changed at all.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I'm an idiot. I just dosed another 5 ml and I see the bubbles. I guess I was expecting a lot more of them.

It still doesn't seem to have effected it at all, but I will give it until tomorrow before I judge again.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a bacteria so don't know as peroxide would do the job.

0 Not allowed!
    Peroxide did the trick for me. I would use a syringe instead of a dropper. That would actually force it onto the spot.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Flourish excel works really well too,
    When I used to have an outbreak, I would
    Spot treat with a syringe. One hour later what used to
    Be blue green has turned brown and then the nerites motor up and clear
    Everything off.

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I didn't think Excel would kill it because it's bacterial. Good to know.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually worked very well. I used it on 4 patches to test the effectiveness. 3 of the patches are completely gone, 1 is noticeably weakened. If I keep using 15-20 ml a day it will be gone within a few days.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you talking about the excel? If yes, then glad to help you!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a very bad outbreak a while ago of the stuff. It was all over my substrate, driftwood and plants. I tried everything but in the end I used a product called " Ultra life blue/green algae remover" I live in canada so I had to order it and I used a half dose but it eradicated the blue/green algae and it has never come back since. I highly recomend it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
    I had a very bad outbreak a while ago of the stuff. It was all over my substrate, driftwood and plants. I tried everything but in the end I used a product called " Ultra life blue/green algae remover" I live in canada so I had to order it and I used a half dose but it eradicated the blue/green algae and it has never come back since. I highly recomend it.
    I've been considering that product as well... I've recently been battling BG algae in my 75gal tank. It developed during my fishless cycle and I thought I got it under control, but now it's spread to my plants and spreading along my sand, as well. It's tough to battle this thing and actually come out victorious. lol

I'm glad someone on here has actually tried it - I was up in the air about it.

Edit: I just found a thread on here for Blue Green Algae Remover here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=74052

Very helpful, indeed. =]
    Last edited by KevinVA; 10-03-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?