· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbyguppy
    Wow, that looks complicated. I think I'll stick with my little ole freshwater tank.

With that being said....I envy the folks who are brave enough to have saltwater tanks.
    We welcome all those who are willing to come over to the dark side

I personally think salt water is easier than freshwater once everything is setup. The scrubber really helps the nitrates, phosphates and prevents algae growth inside of the display tank. I have read it also has removed cyano bacteria from main displays.

Don't let this scare you away from ever trying SW.... its well worth it
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    After 3 weeks of looking, I could not find a used 20 tank for sale that did not come as a complete set-up. But I did find a 33 gallon tank and I got a great deal in it. The SW LFS were I live was selling his old display tanks. I got lucky and found a tank that did not need to be drilled.

As I will have to set the level in this tank at about 3 inches, I cannot use the internal overflow. In the process or removing the two little pcs of glass that made the overflow, I damaged the outer silicone seal. I had to completely remove the outer layer of silicon and replace it. As I still do not have full use of my right hand yet, I had to use my left hand. I’m not exactly at my best using my left hand so I figured I might as well use the aquarium safe white silicone that I had kicking around. If I’m going to have to remove the silicone later should I decide to use it as a display tank, I might as well save the clear stuff.

The scrubber fits in it very well and I have room for a second one should I need to.

As the silicone needs to cure, I will plumb it next weekend and start running it. That closet I have the sump and scrubber in is now really full.

You can not see it in the pic, but the far right side of the scrubber tank is supported by a 2X4 leg.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That set-up looks incredible Cliff, look foward to seeing it going once all the bugs are work out. Question- Once that screen is all caked up w/ algae, how will you clean it? I'm figuring scrubbing it is out of the question since you roughed it up specifically to make the algae hold firm... Bleach?

0 Not allowed!
    I was just planning to take a straight edge, like a dull knife and scrape it all off once a week. The plastic screens that you see in the above pic are not attached to anything, they just sit on top of the scrubber and prevent water from splashing on to the light fixtures. I will have to wipe those off once a week as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha. Keep us posted on how easy (or difficult) it is. I'm curious... As we all know, some algae can be quite stubborn to remove. Thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep us posted on the algae growth.. I can't wait to see!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, I will keep this thread posted

I will also need to change the impeller on my return pump to increase the flow (a option I have with my return pump). When I had the original scrubber running I noticed the reduction in the flow in the tank and I'm not too comfortable with that.

Hopefully, all will be up and running next weekend.

With my nitrates staying around 1ppm, and phosphates almost undetectable, I'm a little worried the growth would be slow. But as I increase the bio-load in the tank I know that will change.

Cheers

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How is the growth coming?

0 Not allowed!
    I did not hook it up. When I went to plumb it all together, I had found a crack in my sump. As I have ordered a new sump, I'm going to wait until I have the new sump on the set-up.

I'm in no rush actually as my nitrate have not been above 2ppm for many weeks now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast