· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What fish is this

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I was wondering what fish is this. It is native here in Thailand, and it grows to about 15 - 20cm in length It's a river fish. Obviously a cyprinid, but not sure which group or species. I was thinking rasbora, but I don't know.

any ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Kind of looks like a Rasbora dusonensis. Only the stripe along its side isn't really standing out.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever it is, it's pretty. Love those bright silver scales

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    where did you get that fish? at a fish market or caught yourself?
    note the faint markings on the tail, a black stripe followed by an orange one.

I thought of rasbora caudimaculata but in a rasbora caudimaculata the colors are reversed.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    where did you get that fish? at a fish market or caught yourself?
    note the faint markings on the tail, a black stripe followed by an orange one.

I thought of rasbora caudimaculata but in a rasbora caudimaculata the colors are reversed.
    This is a native fish here in Thailand, someone else caught it, but they are very popular as a food item. I am hoping to breed some, but I was trying to narrow down what it was so I could ask better questions. In Thai they call it Bla siew
    Last edited by canuckamuck; 09-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Siew is a kind of rasbora.
    Pla siew Kwai is the silver rasbora, for instance, and pla siew kang Kwan
    Is nothing less than the popular espeis rasbora.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the information, it is interesting that you know about the Thai names. So I am confident now that it is a Rasbora type. I will pursue getting a more specific Thai name. A latin name would be best though.

Now I need to get some adults and get them romantically inclined.
    It will be a month before the rivers start clearing up though, it is rainy season.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am back to working on this project. I have several adults now, but I still do not know what this fish is called, However I am going to try breeding them regardless. Here are some new pictures though, in case some one can tell me what I got.

I have taken to calling them Goldtips because in the leading edge of their fins shine gold, and some times reddish; when the light is right. I have also noticed that occasionally there is a color variation as you can see in the pic, but that too seems to come and go.

Anyone recognize these fish?
    Playing with fish in Thailand.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also can anyone give me some advice as to breeding these fish. I have at the moment a 1 by 2 meter mesh cage that is suspended in a 1500 gallon tank. the mesh in the bottom is larger so the eggs may drop through in to the gravel below. The water supply is from the same source (unaltered) that they were caught in. I have a pipe from our river that goes directly to the tank. I plan to put 5 adults in there and hope for the best. I do not know how to determine the sex of these fish.
    Playing with fish in Thailand.

0 Not allowed!
    this is very interesting! keep us updated!