· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Did you know..!? Cause I didn't...

0 Not allowed!
    So, I was messing around with a black light earlier and remembered how cool the glowfish were under them. Of course I go up to the tank and shine the light right over the water but I can't really see the fish as there is a green haze all over the tank as soon as the black light hits...

!!!

Then I thought, well, the only thing I'm doing differently now from the last time I tried out this neat little party trick is dosing ferts. Checked the Easy-carbo under the light and nothing... hmmmm...

Headed to the fridge, dug out the Flourish Comprehensive and viola! Icky green fluorescing liquid! Glad to know that there are in fact nutrients in there and its not just snake oil!

On an informational note, I guess we now have a colorimetric way of measuring how much fertilizer is in the tank and when its about ready for another dosing... Its been 3 days since I dosed and I've got a good amount of plants... if its cool enough, I'll post a pic of the tank right after I dose... fingers crossed!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No friends.

0 Not allowed!
    I know Flourish Comp is good stuff, as since I've been using it, my anubias consistently put on new leaves and one has bloomed, my crypts are hardy and healthy, and the java ferns are doing well. My Amazon sword is a vivid green. Part of that could be attributed to how the light shines on the leaves, but I think its healthy glow is also because it's being well fed.

The liquid being green is a little surprising, as mine looks brown in the bottle, and the residue also looks brown.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is good stuff!

And it isnt green, mine is brown too... but under a blacklight it fluoresces green!