· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with a quarantine tank - if you bring a new fish home that becomes ill, you can treat it in a smaller tank rather than treating your larger tank & risk infecting all your fish.

Also, totally agree with adding to what you already have in there rather than adding another type of fish and to wait until your LFS gets more suitable stock that you like.

Granted, many new fish keepers look forward to having a colorful tank and like many different types of fish, but you need to find out 1st how each fish lives the best - some like to school, some are better off by themselves, some need a tank devoted to all one kind.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to quarantine tank... definitely necessary to prevent disease outbreak

+1 to waiting for the new fish to come in as well. I understand why you wanted to get another school but you should either get rid of one of the existing schools to get the harlequin rasboras and up the existing ones or just up the existing ones.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Number of schools in tank

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a maximum or recommended number of schools/species per tank?

I am looking at a 75 gal and love thew small schooling fish. If your number of individual fish is okay for your tank and filtration, does ii matter how many schools they comprise?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonest
    Woaaa ... too many unwarranted accusations flying around ameliaaahx. If you have had a fight with your partner and are venting out, dont worry, I completely understand :D.
    I see that you have a lot of posts, maybe a lot of experience in the hobby too but that does not give the license for being disrespectful to relatively less experienced.
    Moving on, I see that the opinion stands against getting another school, so I wont & will wait till better stock of my current species comes in.
    Thank you all for your input.
    I think that people need to back off on you, you asked a simple question and got attacked.

I've been in the hobby for 42 years and this is my opinion only; If your sure your tank is cleared of disese get the Rummy Noses, after looking at your list of fish I just now saw you have Congo's, the will take up your upper layer but I agree with the others, get four more but remember they get big. Buy one more female swordtail to help the other "poor" females stress. Get two more Cory Cats.

Know I know this comment might enflame some people but I think your Rosy Barbs are okay, they are not as social and nervous as tetras, the black skirts to are fine even though they are a tetra they are much more out going than most of thier cousins, a friend of mine had a pair in a 50 gal tank with larger more aggresive fish and they lived six years 1972-79.

I belive most of schooling suggestions are just that, I would never keep neons, cardinals, rummy noses, harlequins, lemons, black neons ect in anything less than ten but some of your bigger teras and most barbs I have kept do just fine in smaller schools and even pairs.

Hope this helps and remember no matter what happens don't give up. It's a great and rewarding hobby once you realy get going.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura
    Is there a maximum or recommended number of schools/species per tank?

I am looking at a 75 gal and love thew small schooling fish. If your number of individual fish is okay for your tank and filtration, does ii matter how many schools they comprise?
    I've kept six different schools, seven if count the corys in my 75 gal and they have done fine

14 Harlequin Rasboras
    12 Rummy Nose Tetras
    15 Cardinal Tetras
    8 Emperor Tetras
    12 Red Tailed Yellow Phantom Tetras
    10 Rosy Tetras
    7 Cory Duplicas

I've kept many diferent? spieces in smaller schools (of 6) in smaller tanks (55 gal) in the past with success, but decided that bigger schools were the way to go.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Stocking a 75 gal

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to all for your advice. I definitely listen to those more knowledgeable than I !!! My confidence in correctly setting up my first tank has risen a lot since joining this forum.

Here is an updated preliminary stocking list:

75 gal
    2 AC 110's
    Artificial plants, rock & wood decor, black background
    1 piece Natural driftwood (for BN Cat)
    Estes Marine Sand substrate - Black

14 Harlequin Rasbora (a must for my tank)
    12 Skunk Cories (also a must)
    1 BN Catfish (also a must)
    8 Male Platies
    8 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
    8 GloFish

What do you think?

My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    I think that people need to back off on you, you asked a simple question and got attacked.
    Unfortunately this happens... but it is a fine line between passion and anger so it is understandable.

My recommendation is to fix your current schools and I don't simply mean at least 6 individuals per species. Use that minimum as a guideline and seek to increase school sizes beyond that.

You should really watch your fish and see which ones are most pleasing you to and increase those school sizes even more. If you have nippy fish, the choice might already be made for you.

I think you have enough information for now to consider your next couple of steps. Hope that this helped.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a good initial plan to me. My suggestion is to add one species at a time, starting with your favorite, and slowly working down the list to your least favorite. That way if it turns out you've maxed out on your ability to add more fish earlier than expected (likely you'll be limited by your ability to keep nitrates in check), you at least have each species in an appropriately sized school.