· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 79 of 353 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If I just listen to Springsteen pre-2001, I'll be fine. ;P

lol, my sister loves Bon Jovi. My wife does, too, now that I think of it.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Default Kevin's Planted 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I kept a new journal - a few months anyway, so I decided to keep everyone in the loop about my relatively new 40B.

Originally, I was going to use it for breeding (as many of you already know), along with 4 other new tanks (2 x 10 and 2 x 20L). I was also going to use it for plant grow out, so I could sell some plants. So, I threw two pieces of driftwood, a bunch of plants and 4 plecos in there (with a slew of RCS) and went to town. After about two months, life started to kick me in the rear and I decided to pull back a bit. This was certainly not the time to start breeding fish and selling plants. I had a 4 month old baby and a 3yrd old and if you know anything about either one, you know that they're a lot of work. Add a full time job to the schedule and the last thing you want to think about doing is taking care of 7 different fish tanks at the end of the day.

So, I broke down the two 10 gallons and was left with 5 tanks. Recently, I broke down one of the 20Ls and rehomed my 12 Corydoras Sterbai to the 40B. So, now I'm down to 4 tanks, but I still have some plants, rcs & pond snails in the 20L. Don't care about the pond snails, but I'd like to rehome the rcs if I can manage to get them out.

Anyway, things have begun to stabilize: my son is getting a little older and easier to take care of, my 3yr old daughter is still a pain in the butt, but her B-day is coming up in July... just a mere 6 months away!@$ lol I'm hoping 4 is better than 3. =X I've been able to enjoy the tanks again and 4 tanks certainly is a lot easier for me to take care of and fishkeeping has become a joy again. So, I decided to spice up my 40B a bit and do a rescaping + add some fun fish (not that the Plecos weren't fun, but the tank was pretty empty).

I decided to make it an angel tank. Now, I know a 40B isn't ideal for keeping angels, but it's certainly doable and it'll be a while before they're fully grown and requiring more space. So, I decided to stop by Petsmart (not the most ideal place to shop for fish, but it's the closest I've got) and saw they were selling veils for $4.04. Clearly, I couldn't pass that deal up, so I bought 3. Brought them home, acclimated them to the tank and they were seemingly fine. Unfortunately one died... and I replaced him. Then, another one died... So, now I have two angels and a dead one in the freezer. I'm fairly certain they died from stress OR banging their head into the bottom of the container the fish "experts" at Petsmart threw them in, as I witnessed this twice. ;/

I plan on getting another one, as the two I have are doing fine right now. I've had both of these for about a week and they look pretty good. I noticed a touch of fin rot in the beginning, but it seems to have cleared up after having been in the tank for a bit, plus I've done a couple of water changes. I'll probably stop by Petsmart tomorrow and get another replacement. Again, not the most ideal place, but I don't really want to shop on Aquabid or elsewhere for fish that are readily available.

So, my current stocking is this:
    2 x Veil Angels (1 black, 1 black/silver + whatever I get tomorrow, bringing it to 3)
    12 x Corydoras Sterbai
    4 x Calico BN Plecos
    ?? x RCS
    ?? x Assassin Snails (moved these from my 75 gallon to deal with:
    ?? x Pond snails + Ramshorn Snails)

As far as plants: I pretty much took everything that I had in there, out, with exception to the Italian Vals. I replaced everything with Crypts, Java Ferns & Hygrophila.

Current plant stocking:
    11 x Cryptocoryne retrospiralis (I only ordered 6)
    6 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red (I only ordered 5)
    5 x Hygrophila corymbosa stems
    5-6 x Vallisneria Spiralis
    3-4 x Java Ferns (still young - came from my 75gal)

I also added a branch of Grape Driftwood (which is really great for plecos, btw). They love eating the sap or whatever the excretion is that seeps out of the wood when submerged. So do the snails & RCS, but the plecos absolutely love it. I haven't heard much about Grape driftwood used in the trade, but it's pretty interesting stuff and provides some good eats for the fish. ;P

Current driftwood stocking:
    1 x branch of grape driftwood
    1 x log (w/ a narrow passage hallowed out) of grape driftwood
    1 x malaysian driftwood (the plecos live in here)

I'm having a problem with placing the branch... it's kind of an awkward shape, because it looks like half a ladder (picture an E w/ stems extending outward from the long line in the E). Tomorrow I'll take some pics and hopefully you guys can help me out. Since I had so many extra plants from my order, I didn't want to waste any, so I planted them all... that didn't give me much room for placement of anything else. I wanted to gain some height from the added branch and tie on some Java Ferns, but I have no idea how to organize it in the tank. Now that I have it in there, it seems obtuse and just fits... plus getting it around the other driftwood is a hassle. I don't want to waste it, but I'm not sure how I'm going to set it in there and make it look good. I mean, the inhabitants love that I added it, but I want to enjoy the aesthetics, so I'm at a crossroads with it. ;/

I also just added more substrate to the tank, today. Rinsed out more black diamond sand and carefully added it to the tank without any issue. The reason for the addition was due to the fact that some of the areas in the tank weren't prepared for plants... so there was little substrate to bury the new additions. That's been amended. Most of the fish were actually quite welcoming of the newly added sand, which was odd.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to over the past week or so. Pictures to come tomorrow!

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Great start to a new journal, I look forward to seeing your tank develope.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Great start to a new journal, I look forward to seeing your tank develope.
    Thanks Lee, I appreciate it. =]

0 Not allowed!
    Getting jelous at you and every one else that can get RCS. Hope you will be able to rehome them from the tank. Looking forward to seeing the process.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    The process is the problem. I tried doing this before and I can usually get a few RCS in a net... but otherwise, they're quite elusive and jumpy. lol I think the best bet would be to drain the tank, which would make it harder for them to escape... but then there's a mop of Java Moss in there, along with a canopy of Frog bit, so that's another problem. Haha. Honestly, I can't even tell they're in there anymore. When I moved the Corys, I was able to get some RCS... not sure how many of them (at least 10). I imagine that makes the population in the 40B about 30-40 (there are babies swimming around, so I can't be sure how many exactly).

I've heard that using a snail trap to catch RCS would work, but I've tried that before to no avail. I'll keep you posted. I'll post some pics of what I have to deal with later. ;P

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try looking up shrimp traps. They work similar to snail traps and should make it much easier to move the shrimp.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    This is gonna be a sweet tank, can't wait to see it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    ahem just remember
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    ahem just remember
    Lol! Can't wait to see this thing Kevin. Sounds like it will be awesome.

Page 79 of 353 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast