· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 196 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Thanks Mandy, me too. =]

Well, I came home from work to happy, thriving fish! Whew! I think I'm in the clear... Also, I did a fish count, just to make sure everyone was there.

I counted my Black Phantoms, expecting 9... and counted 10. I have a dead one in my freezer, so either they spontaneously reproduced a new one to adulthood, or PetSmart accidentally gave me an 11th. lol Either way, I'm fully stocked on Black Phantoms, so that's good.

I counted 7 Serpaes and that's accurate. I'll have to pick up 3 more on the weekend. Still monitoring how they do through the week, but it's a relief to go an entire day without some kind of worry.

way to go!!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    lol, thanks. Day 2 and no floaters! Looks like oxygen was the problem. Instead of waiting for the weekend, I decided to pick up the 3 Serpae Tetras and 3 Golden Wonder Killifish today (since PetSmart gets their new stock in on Wednesdays). They're currently in my QT. I'm going to leave them in there for 5 days and see how they do. I think it's a little overdoing it, if you're going to leave 'em in for a month.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    So, this morning - nothing hazardous to report. I'm pleased that things are going well, now. It's difficult not to be paranoid, though. haha

I purchased three Serpaes and three Golden Wonder Killifish last night and placed them in my QT. As I mentioned, I'm going to leave them in there for about 5 days, before I transition them into the 75gal.

Also, I'm thinking about moving some things around in the 75gal. I have the two Amazon Swordplants in the back left corner, behind the rocks, but I feel like things are pretty cramped back there. I'm going to loosen things up by moving one of the plants to the front of the left side, so that it's to the left of the rock caves, and I'm going to bring some of the Ludwigia to the center, behind and to the right of the rocks. Right now, a couple of my Ludwigia over there are suffering, due to BG algae. I'm probably going to chop them down to size to give them some new life, while adding some from the left to fill in some holes.

I'm hoping this will open things up for the Swordplants to expand and thrive, in addition to giving my fish some more swimming room. I think the tank will benefit, aesthetically, as well.

I'll post some pictures of the changes, once complete. =]

4. Default Congratulations!

0 Not allowed!
    So glad all is going well for someone!! And glad that someone is you.
    Woke up this morning to find my lovely angel had died during the night. So upsetting - especially since it looked like he was coming around.
    Anyway, I'm hoping I'm almost over the dreaded ich and the tank will be healthy again soon.
    Continued good luck to you!!

So, this morning - nothing hazardous to report. I'm pleased that things are going well, now. It's difficult not to be paranoid, though. haha

I purchased three Serpaes and three Golden Wonder Killifish last night and placed them in my QT. As I mentioned, I'm going to leave them in there for about 5 days, before I transition them into the 75gal.

Also, I'm thinking about moving some things around in the 75gal. I have the two Amazon Swordplants in the back left corner, behind the rocks, but I feel like things are pretty cramped back there. I'm going to loosen things up by moving one of the plants to the front of the left side, so that it's to the left of the rock caves, and I'm going to bring some of the Ludwigia to the center, behind and to the right of the rocks. Right now, a couple of my Ludwigia over there are suffering, due to BG algae. I'm probably going to chop them down to size to give them some new life, while adding some from the left to fill in some holes.

I'm hoping this will open things up for the Swordplants to expand and thrive, in addition to giving my fish some more swimming room. I think the tank will benefit, aesthetically, as well.

I'll post some pictures of the changes, once complete. =]
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    So glad all is going well for someone!! And glad that someone is you.
    Woke up this morning to find my lovely angel had died during the night. So upsetting - especially since it looked like he was coming around.
    Anyway, I'm hoping I'm almost over the dreaded ich and the tank will be healthy again soon.
    Continued good luck to you!!
    Awww... the poor guy. I'm sorry to hear that FM, that stinks. =/ It's always a heartbreaking feeling to find one of your fish (especially a favorite) lifeless (of even close to it). It always hits the hardest, when it's unexpected, and it seemed like your fish were all recovering nicely.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awww... the poor guy. I'm sorry to hear that FM, that stinks. =/ It's always a heartbreaking feeling to find one of your fish (especially a favorite) lifeless (of even close to it). It always hits the hardest, when it's unexpected, and it seemed like your fish were all recovering nicely.
    Thanks and yes, it was a bit of a shock. Scares me for the rest of them but none of them have shown the stress he did originally so hopefully they will be good to go soon.
    SO glad you figured out your problem.

0 Not allowed!
    That's a very nice tank you have there sir. Nicely done. Subscribed.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Thanks and yes, it was a bit of a shock. Scares me for the rest of them but none of them have shown the stress he did originally so hopefully they will be good to go soon.
    SO glad you figured out your problem.

I'm sure the rest will be ok. Don't worry, FM! Stay positive. =]

Oh, and thanks, same here! It was pretty rough, finding 2 dead every other day... Never seen anything like that. You put all this time in creating what you'd think is a nice ecosystem for your little fish friends (fishless cycling, plenty of hiding places w/ plants/rocks, etc) and when you start adding fish, you don't expect to see them dropping like flies. lol That was frustrating. At least that's over with. *whew*

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    That's a very nice tank you have there sir. Nicely done. Subscribed.
    Thank you, I appreciate that. =]

0 Not allowed!
    So, I did a lot of tank maintenance last night. I did about a 30%+ water change in my planted 10gal, 10% w/c in my QT, and rearranged some (and rearranged some) plants in my 75gal.

I have one more day for my QT and I'll add the 3 Killies and 3 Serpaes to the 75gal.

After the w/c of my planted 10gal, the tank looked much cleaner. The brown algae had become something of a sore spot for me. The Otos were eating it like crazy, but it still looked gross, so I took out a bunch of it. There's still quite a bit of algae on the glass, driftwood & plants for them to eat (and not the gross looking kind), so they have that. I'm not sure they'll ever get rid of it all, but I have algae tablets for them, once they do. haha

I've talked about my betta, but until today, I haven't been able to get a good picture of him.

Here he is in all his glory (only 1 Oto is peaking his head out behind a Swordplant leaf in the back). They all hide pretty well.

It's difficult to get his colors in pictures, because the light blacks them out. Although, the shadow effect does look pretty cool.

And here's how I rearranged my 75gal plants:

It's slightly different. You'll notice that my pygmy chain swords are growing like crazy. I'll need to trim them back, eventually, but I'm enjoying the way they look right now. The cabomba on the right is growing like mad, as well. Two of the stems have gotten so long, that they lean over the driftwood with the current and arch back up toward the light. I thought about cutting it down, but I actually like the wrapping. It looks more natural to me.

You can now see the Amazon Sword plants on the left (there are 2 of them). I threw away a bunch of either withering or excess Ludwigia from the left, or I moved them in front of the rocks and filled in some spots in the mid-ground. I cut a bunch down, as well, so they're not as prevalent. I'm looking forward to my sword plants to start growing out and expanding.

The Serpaes certainly seem to enjoy the area over there quite a bit more. Definitely more room to swim around. I'm hoping that taking out much of the ludwigia on the left will cut down on co2 at night, as well, eliminating more of a chance of o2 depletion. I'm not too concerned with this now that I have bubblers in the tank (which you can see), but any little bit I can do to help, I will.

0 Not allowed!
    Figured I might as well post a picture of the two sides of the aquarium.

1. The Cabomba Forest:

2. The Annubias Caves:

Notice how out and about the Serpae Tetras are compared to the Phantoms? I think this is why I had 5x the amount of deaths of Serpaes, during the oxygen problem I was having. They're way more active. The Phantoms stake out their little claims of realty and hide out quite a bit. There are several that swim around the caves & driftwood, but it's pretty interesting how different the two species act. Kinda' funny picture - if you look really close at the Pigmy swords in the first pic, you'll see a Phantom hiding and peaking out.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 09-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Page 6 of 196 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast