· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 56 of 194 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

For your loss. - steeler1 <3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 
    A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Just a side note, unrelated to fish... my wife and I are having a baby on Friday (it's a scheduled induction). We're going to the doctor tomorrow for her last exam and my wife's going to the hospital for preparation. Please wish us luck! If I'm absent for a while, you know why. =]
    Kevin, that's wonderful!!! I wish you and your wife the absolute best, boy are you gonna be a busy man :D

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, btw... I'm trimming a lot of my Water Sprite and tossing a bunch of Red-rooted Floaters. If anyone wants any, please let me know. Otherwise, they're getting tossed into the trash. They're algae and snail free... and have been growing absolutely wonderfully.

As you can see, things are getting pretty wild in there:

I tried to get a close-up of the red-rooted floaters, but this is what I came up with:

Here's my canopy. This is a better shot, so you can actually tell there's a difference in colors between the Water Sprite and the Floaters. It's crazy what's going on up there.

Anyway, they're about to get shorter and go missing, so if anyone wants some, throw me a msg or post here. If you can pay for shipping, I'll be happy to donate them.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Kevin, that's wonderful!!! I wish you and your wife the absolute best, boy are you gonna be a busy man :D
    Thanks Judi, I appreciate that. =] This'll round out our family, since we have an almost 3yr old daughter, too... and a dog. Can't forget Maximus the Magnificent mini Dachshund. ;P

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank looks like a jungle now!

Good luck with the new arrival! Wonderful news. Get as much sleep as you can now as you'll kiss goodbye to it (so I've heard)!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Firefly!

Oh, you certainly do - at least for the first 2yrs. My daughter is on the verge of turning 3 in July. She was actually a very good baby and slept a lot more than many others we know... so we were really lucky. I doubt I'll strike gold twice, though. ;P

0 Not allowed!
    I sincerely hope all goes smooth for you and your growing family Kevin. And, CONGRATULATIONS!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Another aquarist is born.........Congrats to you and your wife on the new arrival!!!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new baby.

Dave...

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! I hope everything went well for you and your family yesterday!
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone! Everything went fine and we have now brought a new baby boy into the world. =] His name is Noah and he's very healthy... and he wants to say something:

Meanwhile, my tank... while looking quite pretty seems to be a death trap for tetras and GBRs. =X In fact, after going to the hospital, I had to neglect it for two days... which normally would have been fine. However, when I got home, I found another dead Serpae... then a few days later another dead Serpae, plus a dead GBR, stuck in my Christmas Moss. =X Oddly, the GBR was doing fine just the day before... perfectly healthy looking.

My theory is that since the Serpae's numbers are diminishing, they're becoming much more aggressive and the surviving GBR was the least aggressive of the original two. I think they gave her the beat down... I have also noticed that every other fish in my tank is actually quite aggressive - the Gourami, the SAEs, the Raph cats, the Killies and of course, the Serpaes.

I took parameters today for nearly everything and here are my findings:

Aquarium:
    NH3/4 = 0
    NO2 = 0
    NO3 = 0
    PO4 = 0
    KH = 2'
    GH = 4'
    pH = 7.0-7.2

Tap Params:
    pH = 6.8-7.0
    KH = 2'
    GH = 4'

I had thought that my earlier testing for hardness found it to be a bit harder than 2' KH/4' GH, so my water is a quite a bit softer than what I was expecting. This may have something to do with my Serpae deaths, who prefer 5-20'. It's right on the low line for Black Phantoms and perfect for GBRs... so that really doesn't explain their deaths. I'm wondering if both GBRs died as a result of injuries, since I've found that most of the other fish are quite aggressive.

Knowing the above, I'm really going to have to re-think my stocking options.

Page 56 of 194 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast