· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 51 of 353 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    No, I mean just crush up a leaf and put it in a DIY tea bag.

I actually just bought 200 of these leaves. After reading more about them, I'm certainly enticed and anxious to see how these work. Curious to see the tanning of the water, as well. I plan on adding some to my Betta tank, as well. They apparently love them and it's good for fin rot (which he is apparently predisposed to - he's had it twice, merely as an effect to changing or adding things to the aquarium).
    My, you don't go for half measures do you?

OK, just to be sure there's no misunderstanding.
    I'm not saying this is a snake oil cure for whatever's wrong with your fish at the moment, (certainly not that thing on the ram's head). I do believe that these leaves can play a role in the prevention of some things, especially fungus related and that they may help keep some parasites down. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they can cure beginning stages of finrot. (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catappa...ation_and_uses)

What I do know is this.
    A single hand sized leaf was sufficient to really colour my 125 liter. I suspect that presoaking will keep that down a bit. Also carbon might help
    48 hours after adding the leaf it had sunk. All my fish seemed a bit more active, more vigorous.
    The shrimps were not bothered at all by the leaves.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Steeler, I appreciate the update. After I'm finished dosing with Pimafix (today's the last day), I'll see how things have worked out and after a large water change, will either consider dosing the 75gal.

Dutchie, the 200 leaves are "small leaves". I actually purchased them from a seller on eBay (who's also on Aquabid) in Singapore. She was selling them in bunches of 50, 100 or 200, and shipping is supposed to take about 2 weeks. I figured I'd stock up on them, since the claim is that there really isn't any shelf life on these guys and if I ever run into a point in time where I need some additional leaves, I'll already have them. I like to be prepared, and the price was about $9 per 100 "Grade A" small leaves (from 5-7" in length). I read they eventually break down into detritus, so having extras will be necessary for future use.

I don't think these will be the answer to all illnesses, but it's always a good idea to use preventative measures in order to sustain happy/healthy fish, if you ask me. I really appreciate the insight. I've seen these before, but never really knew anything about them - and never thought they'd actually have medicinal properties. The things you learn in this hobby. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Darn good price you got.

I had seen them but didn't put much faith in them until I started reading up on them and found some solid research. Well, I do hope you'll benefit from my tip.

0 Not allowed!
    I hope I do, as well. At any rate, I'll be posting my experiences with the leaves on here. We'll see how it goes. I'm willing to try anything.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Holy moley..... I'm gone for a few weeks and your tank has exploded upon my return. Sending good vibes your way, hope you can get it all figured out.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    lol, Mandy... before you left, everything was going quite well. ;/ It appears that my circumstances can change with the shifting winds. Thank you for the good vibes - I could use all the help I can get.

Well, I did some cleaning up yesterday. Did a massive waterchange of about 75% of the 75gal, cleaned off all the algae on the sides of the tank, in addition to removing as much staghorn as I could. You wouldn't believe how much was on that piece of driftwood... There was at least a golf ball size clump of it... which can be squished together. If you had to compare it to any other kind of plant, it's more like a moss than anything else. It absorbs a crap load of water, though. I was surprised at how much it could hold. Tried to get it off the substrate, too, and it looks a bit better down there.

I also separated the Glossostigma into smaller bunches, per Firefly's suggestion, and took the pot out of the Rabbit snail tank and added that to the 75gal tank, since it's not spreading very fast. It looks a bit more full in the front now.

That being said, I don't know how... but the roots of my Hygrophila Stricta died. You wouldn't have known it, judging by its' very green and plentiful leaves. The stems of the plant literally broke free of their roots, so now I've got several separate stems and I've attempted to replant them in the 75gal, in addition to a couple in my 20gal long. We'll see how that goes. I think the roots died as a result of my not having gotten all of the rock wool off of them. I could be wrong, but who knows. Otherwise, the rest of the plants are fairing well.

I trimmed the Water Sprite and replanted the trimmings in the 20gal Long, while removing the annoying Anacharis stems. They were really getting out of hand, so I decided to trim them down, toss out a good majority of them and replant the trimmings of those in my Rabbit snail tank.

After having done that, I decided to swap the Red Rubin Sword in my 75gal with the Indian Red Sword in my Rabbit snail tank. The Red Rubin was doing fine, but it makes for a horrible background plant... it remains rather small - maybe it's placement was an issue, because it's supposed to grow quite tall (2ft). The Indian Red Sword should grow to about 10" tall, but the 10gal it was in had horrible lighting (which should be amended shortly - as I've ordered a new 24" fixture for my 20gal tank + an additional 20" fixture). Got tired of the DIY lamps I had that stimulated little growth out of anything, plus they're bulky and an eye sore. Maybe the Indian Red will do better w/ 3wpg in the 10gal. We shall see.

Let's see... what else?

Ahh, yes... I did a water change on the 10gal Rabbit snail and 20gal long today... Who knew more things could go wrong?

Actually, nothing went wrong until the bitter end... I completed my water changes, but as I tried to stop the flow from the siphon (with the little lever), well... the hose literally broke off from the head. Yes, ladies and gentlemen... water, everywhere. The floor, the couch, my daughter's toys, and of course, me. Thank goodness we're in the basement and under the carpet lay a cement block.

Alas... I'm going to try some things to see if I can get a better siphon working. The nut that holds the hose onto the head was destroyed, so I'll need to replace that, but I'm thinking of getting a more pliable hose while I'm at it. I'm fairly certain that's part of the problem. Plastic... why must that be the go-to material for every device known to man?

0 Not allowed!
    Didn't realize until now how bad the tank looked in my previous full tank pic. lol The meds backed me up on my water changes, so it had been about a week and a half since I was able to get to it.

Before (4 Days ago):

After (Today):

Oh, and a side note? I can't stand the "soil" I'm using in my 20gal Long. It's horrible for planting - not like sand at all. It's very much like gravel, very coarse and I really haven't seen any improvements in my Amazon swords (as you can probably tell from the pic of my 20. If I had to do it again, I'd probably just go sand again...

We live and we learn.

Oh, another note... I'm having a whole home water filtration system installed this weekend. I decided to go for a fluoride/chlorine/chloramine/sediment filter and nip it all in the bud at the same time. I'm hopeful that the water quality improves over all and the health of my fish improves. I've had this feeling that these additives can't be good for anyone, and while Prime can clear up the chlorine/chloramine, the fluoride and other crap still gets through. We'll see what happens. Per usual, I'll keep you apprised of my experiences (whether they be successes or failures). ;P
    Last edited by KevinVA; 04-11-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What a difference four days can make!!! The tank realy looks good, even the day one photo.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Aye! Don΄t sweat the Hygrophila though, pretty much everything in that family is very hardy. If you can get it to stay down it should establish again

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. =]

Dutchie, that's great news, because I love that plant - very pretty.

Page 51 of 353 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast