· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 50 of 353 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!

Now... onto the fishes:

As you've followed this journal, you've noticed that I've had several bouts with fish disease/illnesses, in addition to a variety of algae problems. I had no idea if the diseases are a result of water quality issues, terrible care at the fish store, bad breeding practices... or luck of the draw. That being said, here are a few of my problem fish...

First up is my fat Long-fin Serpae Tetra. She definitely has Dropsy, in addition to pop-eye. Her scales are popping out on the bottom, she's bloated as hell... and has been having difficulties swimming (she's definitely more lethargic than the rest of her school). She's also pale, which has been a problem with my Long-Fin Serpaes for the last couple of weeks. I tried Melafix the first week, which didn't have any effect.

You can't see the scales popping out at the bottom, but believe me, they are... she looks like a porcupine.

I also had another Long-fin Serpae problem fish that was the runt of the school. I had to put him down several days ago. He couldn't swim up-right anymore, his fins weren't growing back (and they were badly damaged), and he kept getting stuck to one of the intakes.

I also have a couple of other Long-fin Serpaes with slight cases of pop-eye and/or possible eye cloud. There appears to be a white growth around the eye, but not covering it, if you know what I mean. You'll see what I mean with the GBR male pic below, because he has the same thing, but only one of his eyes - and it's pretty terrible looking.

Here's my once-prized GBR male. Great body, but you need to cover his face with a paper bag. I feel so bad for him, because he was perfectly healthy about a week ago. This is actually what pushed me over the edge and enticed me to buy a UV Sterilizer.

Here's the poor guy. It honestly looks like some kind of growth - not pop-eye. There's a clear difference.:

Here's another angle. Perhaps a tumor?:

I just finished dosing Melafix for 7 days yesterday. After 2 days, I started dosing Pimafix, as well, so I could cover all of my bases. I've got another day to go on that one and so far, several of the Serpaes are looking a bit better (some Pop-eye looks to have subsided, and some are regaining their color - they had become much more dull than usual). It also looks like the red spot on my Gourami might be going away, as well, but it's possible I'm seeing things I want to see. I've yet to see any changes with the male GBR... and I'm hopeful that I do in the next two days.

That being said, my SAEs are all healthy, the 3 regular Serpaes (non long-fin) are healthy, my 3 Golden Wonder Killis are perfectly fine/happy, the 2 Raph cats are the same... other than the red spot, my Gourami is fine. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... but I'm anxious to put a stop to it. I feel so bad for my fish.

Anyway, 2 more days until I can do a water change. I'm definitely due for one, but the melafix/pimafix dosing has backed me up a few days.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Kevin try Maracyn Two, it's always worked well for me. I know we all try to go natural as possible but sometimes you need something a little stronger.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for that post, Kev. Really helpful! Hope you get it all under control soon.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah... this is a mess. Shame because it was going rather well. Once it is under control see if a catappa leaff or two keeps things better.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Steeler, thanks for checking in. I have Maracyn 2 at home. Been keeping it stashed, along with a smorgasbord of other meds for the fish, but I'm weary of using it, since it's been said that it kills beneficial bacteria, while the other stuff doesn't. Can you confirm if that's true?

No problem and thanks Firefly. =] Anything I can do to help people out with my trials and tribulations.

Catappa leaves, dutchie? I'll have to check into that.

Edit: I just checked into the leaves. Would you suggest using tea bags with crushed Catappa leaves in the filter, so that the tannins leach and disperse more rapidly, or would you suggest adding several full leaves into the tank?

I had never heard of them before, but apparently they can be used for therapeutic purposes or medicinal. It's suggested that more leaves be used for medicinal purposes. Also, do you know how long the leaves will leach the tannins? Will they need to be replaced, eventually?
    Last edited by KevinVA; 04-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Wouldn't teabags also add caffeine to the water? I'm not sure that'd be a good idea!

0 Not allowed!
    No, I mean just crush up a leaf and put it in a DIY tea bag.

I actually just bought 200 of these leaves. After reading more about them, I'm certainly enticed and anxious to see how these work. Curious to see the tanning of the water, as well. I plan on adding some to my Betta tank, as well. They apparently love them and it's good for fin rot (which he is apparently predisposed to - he's had it twice, merely as an effect to changing or adding things to the aquarium).

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh... I was picturing fish zooming around like they were on speed.

0 Not allowed!
    lol, caffeinated tank water. Interesting experiment. ;P

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you follow the directions to the letter you should have no problems. I'm sure you'll have some BB loss but not enough to do any damage as long as don't overdose, knowing you well enough I don't think that will be a problem.

I can not give you a guarantee nothing will go wrong however, but it has not failed me.
    Last edited by steeler58; 04-08-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Page 50 of 353 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast