· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 353 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    It happens. If they all came from the same place and the same tank it's likely that most of them have the same issues.

I'd def be QTing any other stock I got from that store.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    It happens. If they all came from the same place and the same tank it's likely that most of them have the same issues.

I'd def be QTing any other stock I got from that store.
    Yep, same store, same two tanks... Ahh, why can't every store take care of their animals equally? I guess fish come with their own set of risks/problems, because they don't necessarily have a veterinarian looking after them.

You'd think they'd QT them first, before trying to sell them. New stock comes in, QT them, then sell them. That would solve a lot of problems. Either that, or they could learn how to breed them...
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Ok... so I just counted all of my Serpaes not too long ago and found 10 swimmers, and now I found another dead one. ;/

I think you're right... I'm going to see how it goes for a week. If more die, then I'll know it's probably a stock issue. That's 4 in about 4 days. Kind of disturbing.
    Sorry this is happening to you.
    I've got trouble too. Ich in my 90 gal. Have NO idea. NONE, how this happened.
    no need to reply - I've got a thread going in the fish disease section but geez. How can we take such good care and end up with dead or sick fish? It IS very disturbing.

Good luck with yours!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Sorry this is happening to you.
    I've got trouble too. Ich in my 90 gal. Have NO idea. NONE, how this happened.
    no need to reply - I've got a thread going in the fish disease section but geez. How can we take such good care and end up with dead or sick fish? It IS very disturbing.

Good luck with yours!
    Thanks! Same to you. Hopefully you caught your ich early. One of the Otos I got a couple of weeks ago, who seemingly had ich died within a day. Late stages... That was in my 10gal. I dosed just in case it got in the tank for about a week and a half and now I have carbon running to filter out the meds. So far, so good - no other trouble. The 4 Otos and my Betta are doing fine.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's been a couple of days and after posting my previous casualty count, I actually had another instance where two more Serpae Tetras died (again at night). I started a thread in the Tetra forum to see if anyone could give me a hand with whatever was happening. Before one of them died, I noticed a grayish tint to his/her color, so I thought it might be a disease.

Well, no one had an answer - my params have been fine, the gradual temperature change was apparently fine, etc. I think most people just gave up on helping me out, because it got quiet for a day and a half and I ended up talking to myself (and Mandy ).

So, after finding the two dead fish in the morning (the other one was quite healthy looking and was actually floating... while the other sunk - I've noticed that most dead fish sink and don't float, which is odd to me), I decided to head over to PetSmart to see if they could help me.

One of the women I was talking to was very helpful. I asked her what the water params were, the temperatures, if she noticed if the Tetras they got were a bad stocking, etc. No problems on their end. I told her about my problem and how the fish kept dying at night.

"At night?" she asked.

"Yep, they seem to be doing perfectly fine during the day, chasing each other, seemingly happy as can be, then they die at night, when I'm not there to see what happens - so I have no idea what's causing it," I replied.

She then asked the thought-provoking question of "is your tank planted?"

BAM! I confirmed what she asked and she followed that question up with "is it 'heavily' planted?" BAM again! I confirmed what she asked, once again.

At first, I was thinking she was going to inquire if the fish had hiding spots, just in case they were stressed, etc. I thought that was the thought-process... until she mentioned that if it's happening at night, it could be that the water is oxygen deficient.

Reason being? While plants use the light during the day for photosynthesis and oxygenate the water, when light isn't present at night, the plants release CO2, which basically poisons the water, making it unbearable for fish in an enclosed ecosystem.

I had thought that my filter + pump would be enough to oxygenate the water, but now that I look at it, the only thing they're really doing is circulating the water... and while it circulates it, it doesn't really break surface tension on the far side of the tank. And with the tank being heavily planted, this circulation probably wouldn't be enough to oxygenate the tank for all of these fish... So, without further hesitation, I purchased an air pump, some black silicone tube, suction cups/clips and two air stones.

I installed the air pump when I got home from work yesterday and so far, so good. No additional casualties.

It sucks that I didn't think of this beforehand, because I remember reading about it, when I got into plants... I guess it's been a while, though, since I did a lot of research on them, so I completely dropped the ball. Hopefully things continue to improve and I won't have anymore of these problems. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see any floaters/sinkers tonight/tomorrow!

I'm going to wait until the weekend to get replacements to the ones I lost a couple of days ago... I have 4 in my freezer, which brought my casualty count to 6. Pretty disastrous if you ask me. =/ I tried to prevent this kind of chaos from happening by fishless cycling, for crying out loud.

6. Default wow

0 Not allowed!
    Holy cow. Smart woman. I have run into some Petco staff that really know fish. Sounds like this person is on top of things.
    I hope this solves your problem - I'm thinking it's going to.

BTW - you saving those freezer fish for a big fish fry or what? Sorry. bad joke.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Holy cow. Smart woman. I have run into some Petco staff that really know fish. Sounds like this person is on top of things.
    I hope this solves your problem - I'm thinking it's going to.

BTW - you saving those freezer fish for a big fish fry or what? Sorry. bad joke.
    lol - that'd be a disappointing fish fry. No, Petsmart has a 15 day guarantee on their fish, so I'll hopefully be able to bring them back for replacements on the weekend. It will have been a little over a week.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    lol - that'd be a disappointing fish fry. No, Petsmart has a 15 day guarantee on their fish, so I'll hopefully be able to bring them back for replacements on the weekend. It will have been a little over a week.
    I know - I just had a moment of very bad taste
    And hey - my photo of hummingbirds at sunrise came in 2nd in the APOTM competition. Very jazzed about that. Fish, dog, cats, horses ... and hummers. It's a zoo around here.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm certainly glad you seem to have figured this out.

That really never would have crossed my mind.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Mandy, me too. =]

Well, I came home from work to happy, thriving fish! Whew! I think I'm in the clear... Also, I did a fish count, just to make sure everyone was there.

I counted my Black Phantoms, expecting 9... and counted 10. I have a dead one in my freezer, so either they spontaneously reproduced a new one to adulthood, or PetSmart accidentally gave me an 11th. lol Either way, I'm fully stocked on Black Phantoms, so that's good.

I counted 7 Serpaes and that's accurate. I'll have to pick up 3 more on the weekend. Still monitoring how they do through the week, but it's a relief to go an entire day without some kind of worry.

Congrats on the photo, fishmommie! I'll have to check it out... I rarely see the photo of the month stuff.

Page 5 of 353 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast