· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 49 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    That actually is quite a difference!! And about your wisteria problem. You can simply take small river stones and lay them on top of the roots of the plant then bury the roots and the rock. Hopefully holding it more in place.

0 Not allowed!
    lol, thank you Mandy (I think). ;P

@Carapar - that's a great idea. Beats replanting it all the time.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that was a compliment.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, thank you. =]

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking at my tank today, and while things look like they're growing nicely, I'm seeing some black algae beginning to coat the leaves of a few of the plants. I'm thinking this is due to the dosing of phosphorous and nitrogen. I cut the dose in half, but I think I'm just going to stop dosing them altogether. Usually, when I measured the phates/trates, prior to the new dosing regimen, I got very low readings (phates were usually 0). That being said, just because I measured 0, doesn't mean there was 0 in the tank on any given day... it's possible that the plants just consumed the amount that was produced from fish waste/food. So... I'm going to measure both right now and immediately discontinuing the use of phosphorous & nitrogen. Hopefully that will cut down the algae growth quite a bit...

The never ending battle...

I'm also dosing both tanks for disease. My Betta came down with fin rot after I added the new Otos (I expect from stress - he stresses over everything). Last time, Fungus Guard worked, so I'm trying that again (half the dose).

In the 75gal, I'm dealing with popeye and eye cloud (hence why I bought the UV sterilizer). I have no idea what started this breakout, but it's really annoying. There are a few Serpaes who look a bit faded, as well. So, here we go again. Dosing with Melafix at a 50gal dose (25mL) for 7 days. We'll see where that gets us.

The other never ending battle (for me, anyway)...
    Last edited by KevinVA; 03-28-2013 at 11:57 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed some black algae when I started dosing phosphorous at the recommended dosage too, I did the same as you and cut it in half, did some large consecutive water changes and it's dying off already. I'm really liking that UV sterilizer you set up man, especially $13 replacement bulbs, mine cost $65 -__-

0 Not allowed!
    After only a few days of cutting Phosphorous and Nitrates out of my regimen, I've noticed the black algae dying away. It's amazing the difference it's made. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a lot of staghorn algae on my driftwood (I expect from the same problem). This had grown at the same time as the black algae, but it's sticking around. It doesn't necessarily look horrible, but I'd prefer it not to be there.

Growth is still looking great, otherwise, and I expect in the next couple of weeks, my plants will have benefited considerably from the change-up in dosing.

As far as the disease outbreaks go:

After two days of dosing Melafix, I decided to start dosing Pimafix, as well... Not sure if it's bacterial or viral, so I'm trying both. Looks like that spot on my Gourami is healing, and I think some of the Serpaes are looking better, but I'm not really sure. I've noticed that one of them has dropsy, and I'm not sure if this dosing will cure that. It's just a mess in there. My male GBR also has one eye that's popped-out and has some growth. I have no idea what that's about... but I hope the Pimafix/Melafix helps.

In my 20gal Long, the Betta is healing up nicely - nothing else to worry about there. My Amano shrimp have also grown quite a deal from the time I got them (which wasn't really that long ago). They're all about twice as large, except for one. I see at least 2-3 molts a week, so I know they're growing quickly.

I'm attempting to eradicate a pond snail outbreak in that tank, as well. I made a snail trap out of a small gatorade bottle and using some leaves of lettuce (and whatever else seems appropriate). It certainly works, but I've got a ways to go. The Anacharis that they hitched a ride in is growing out of control... It needs to be trimmed quite frequently and unfortunately it seems like my snails enjoy eating the bottoms of them. They also don't hold well in the new soil. Not sure if it's because they're a sucky stem that doesn't create a good root system, or if the soil just doesn't hold plants well - though, my swords and dwarf lilly are fine. Maybe the snails and otos are just uprooting them more easily.

I'll try to update w/ some photos after my med regimen is complete. I need to do some water changes, clean some algae on the glass (that apparently never stops) and do some trimming, before they look presentable. ;P

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds a challenge. Any room for a few photos? I'd be interested in photos of your issues...algae, diseases etc. Might learn something...I.e. to recognise it in future.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Took some pics tonight. I'll post them in the morning, but this staghorn algae issue got my attention. I started delving into it and trying to find some answers online. It looks like iron is the key factor... which makes sense, since the EI method I've been using suggests dosing Iron every single day. Looks like I found the culprit, so again, I'll have to adjust my dosing regimen.

I've already nixed Phosphorous and Nitrates, thinking the fish and food will take care of that. Since I dose Iron every day, I'll try to cut it back to every other day, which should give the plants enough time to absorb the previous day's dosing.

One thing's for sure - at least I'm getting to know what works and what doesn't. Speaking of which - took a look at my plants again, tonight - black algae on my plants is really rescinding well. Now to kick the staghorn and disease!

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, as per requested, I'm going to be posting several images of my problem tank - with said problems. lol

Before we start, here's a full tank shot, since it's been a little over a month since I started dosing fertilizers based on the EI method.

Things I've learned:

- The EI method is based off of either fishless or very low-stock/low bioload tanks, therefore dosing with Phosphorous and Nitrogen is probably unnecessary and can lead to algae growth (especially black algae, which will coat the leaves of your plants). This is an assumption I've made, based on the images I've seen of many different planted tanks from Tom Barr, as well as many of the tanks of theplantedtank.com. I've nearly eradicated the black algae, merely by removing these two components from my dosing regimen.

- Too much iron can cause staghorn algae outbreaks. This algae has steadily grown over the last two weeks. It didn't appear for the first 2 weeks, but I assume that the consistent iron dosing (daily is recommended) is entirely too much for my plants to absorb. Perhaps it'd be ok in a heavily planted tank, but mine is moderately planted. It's certainly not lightly planted, but my previous setup was much more heavily planted than the current setup. I've begun to reduce the Iron dosing to every other day, instead of every day. This should steadily reduce the stranglehold the staghorn has on my driftwood and substrate.

Here are some pics of the culprit (taken last night):

This is the staghorn algae infested driftwood:

Here's a close up of one patch:

And finally, the top:

- The EI method works as is, if you're referring to plant growth/health. My plants have never grown so steadily and have never been as green/red. If you don't reach a balance for your specific tank setup, however, you will have algae issues. Starting with the recommended dosing has been good, because I've been able to reduce things here and there to find my equilibrium.

- API CO2 Booster will work just as well as Seachem Excel. The same can be said of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive & Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food. Liquid ferts + tabs have worked for me, using any of the brands. From now on, I'll be using the least expensive option, since I've seen little difference between the brand names. I may try API Leaf Zone, too.

- While it doesn't matter which comprehensive liquid fert you use, I've found that the recommended dosage of twice a week leads to a variety of green algae growth, as well. I didn't see much during my EI method experiment, but cutting it back to once a week, rather than twice a week, has provided the same plant growth rate either way. That being said - this type of fertilizer (liquid or otherwise) can last for a very long time.

My hope is that I'll be able to reach an equilibrium, as far as plants/fertilization go, within the next couple of weeks. I've been widdling down my dosages over the last month, about a week at a time.

See below (next post) for my current dosing schedule:

Page 49 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast