· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 48 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Another of the male:

Here are the male/female hanging out/circling each other:

And another of them parting ways:

In other news... my Otos are doing really well. I purchased 5 to add to the remaining 3 I had and all 8 are quite healthy and loving the 20gal Long. They're much more active in a bigger group and it's fun to find them hanging out along the substrate, plants and walls. =] They're all over, now. When I first got them, they were almost see-through due to stress. Now they all have their beautiful gray/black/white striped coloring. They're much happier and seemingly quite healthy. The only problem is that the addition of them added stress to the Betta. He's very finicky about his tank... So, now I'm seeing the beginnings of fin rot (again). Bettas are the worst for this... and unfortunately, I have company this weekend and next weekend, so upping the water change schedule might be tough. I'll try to figure a way to do 20-30% changes every 3 days or something. That should at least help. I usually do about 50% in all my tanks once weekly. Want to try that, before I go the meds route... he doesn't appreciate Melafix and I don't appreciate Fungus Guard. ;P

Here are a few of my Oto friends:

I'll try to get one with more of them together. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I was also finally able to get a clear shot of one of my Amano shrimp. =]

Oh, and there's my baby Rabbit wandering by unfocused. ;P

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Your tanks are looking gorgeous :D Its nice to see some clear shots of the GBR's I really think they're gorgeous. If I was able to set my 55 gallon up I'd definitely be buying some GBR's right away. I was thinking of adding one or 2 to my future 20 gallon but I decided not to as I've read mixed results that in smaller settings they get more aggressive so I just decided on a Badis badis with the possible addition of a wild betta species. Anyways I'm glad to hear you're seeing new growth on your plants and more activity of your fish. Just a thought but have you decided on whether or not you'll be adding more background plants?? I think your tank would look beautiful with the addition of some bacopa or a rotala species.

Also just wondering, what type of lighting are you using? The lights make the tank look yellow and weird, I have the same problem with the lights on my molly tank. I think with a change of the lighting to make it look more white would help the aesthetics of the tank. I did this with my gourami tank and not only did I see an increase in beneficial brown algae for my snails but it also made the tank look more pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 03-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I agree, great photos.

Are you going to put some Christmas moss on the branches in the big tank?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Very good photos of your GBR's. They look great.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love your tank, Kevin! It's just stunning. Didn't want to say it before but I'm so glad you cleaned the algae off the sides :o) It couldn't be prettier. And those rams just make you smile, don't they? I love mine - even though they can't live together in the same tank :o(
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Your rams look great

Good job with the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. =]

@FM, I'm with you. I can't believe I tolerated it for so long. lol I'm glad I finally got rid of the algae off the sides and quite a bit of the back. Can't really do a good job at getting a lot of the lower areas, though... driftwood and plants are getting in the way. ;/ I'll figure it out.

@Firefly, I've thought about that. I think that once I grow a good amount of the Christmas Moss, I'll spread it around. I imagine it should be able to grow from any bits you rip off, right? I'm hoping it's that easy to propagate.

@Carapar, I tried to get more background plants in there, but my SAEs literally ate them... I tried to go for some more red plants, like the Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia... and it did well for about a week. lol Something about those suckers. I guess they must taste especially good, because they didn't last very long at all. I ordered 1 bunch and got an extra as an throw-in... then they were gone. Amazing looking stem plant. If you don't have any plant eaters, I'd certainly recommend it.

Right now, I'm trying to grow out my Ludwigia repens again. I had a good amount before, then ripped them all out when I had issues w/ my first plant choice (including the Green Cabomba Stems), save for a couple of stems. Those stems are doing pretty well, so I decided to stick it out and try to propagate them by trimming and replanting. So far, so good.

Maybe I'll try something else later, but for now, I'd like to see how these plants grow out - though, I've been known to be impatient. ;P The Water Sprite has done a great job of filling in the back, where they were planted. Unfortunately, my Raph cats keep uprooting one of them in the back. I just had to replant it today after a water change (though, I think that was my fault - I'm fairly certain that the outflow from the siphon knocked it out. Either that or restarting the filters).

As for the lights... all of mine are T5HO 6500k 54w bulbs. I have 4 of them going 8hrs a day for a total of 216w (2.88wpg output). I agree with you that the lighting sort of has a washing out effect. I'm not sure if it's the bulbs or the bounce off from the tan sand. Either way, I've tried 10,000k before, which provides a white light, but I wouldn't try that in this tank. That's too much light and when I was using it in my 10gal, it stimulated algae growth like crazy. I've thought about swapping one of the bulbs out for a red plant light, though. Not sure that would reduce the washing out, though. Maybe worth a shot.

In other news... I decided to buy an in-line UV Sterilizer for the 75gal. I got the AquaTop In-Line UV Sterilizer 10W. I received it today and installed it tonight, during the water change. I placed it in the outtake tube of my Penn Plax, which leads to the spray bar. I figured if any output should be effected by this, it should be the spray bar, since I limited outflow on that, as it was. Now I've got it going full power and it only produces a little more output than it was before, so that's perfect for my needs.

It was fairly simple to piece together and operating it is as simple as plugging it in, when you want it on, and then unplugging it when you want to turn it off. When it's on, the UV light can be viewed through a ring around the device.

I'm hoping this helps with diminishing algae growth and aids in creating a healthier environment for my fish (eliminating bacteria/parasites, when it can). As many of you have noticed, I've been dealing with these two problems ever since starting the tank. I haven't had any fish deaths in a while, but I can tell you that my Serpaes don't look the greatest (though, the Long-finned variety fair far worse than the normal/healthy looking generic Serpaes). I have a feeling that specific breeding of the long-finned Serpaes has led to some unfortunate side effects, such as weaker immune systems. That being said, I can't cure these things of whatever the hell they have. It seems like one of them always has pop-eye or cloudy eyes... It's either a virus/bacteria or they keep running into the pointy ends of the driftwood - I have no idea. Either way, the UV sterilizer can only help. The regular Serpaes are healthy as can be and look great.

0 Not allowed!
    After almost a full day of UV sterilization, I can definitely tell a difference from pre-UV to post-UV. The water looks so much more clear, already. The picture really can't do it justice, but you can actually see a difference from the previous picture to this current one. It's like a yellow/green screen was removed from the camera, to make the tank look a bit darker and clearer. Not sure how to explain it, really... It just looks clean to me.

Anyway, here are the before and afters:

Before UV:

After UV (only 1 day of use):

I'm sold... and this was a much more affordable model, too. Only $40 w/ $13 replaceable bulbs whenever I need them. Definitely sold... beats the hell out of paying hundreds of dollars for probably the same result and having to shell out another $40 for the new bulbs. I honestly didn't know what to expect, because I've never seen them used, for one, and there's a lot of myths/folklore associated with UV sterilizers... but color me pleased. ;]

0 Not allowed!
    You my friend, are what I call an over achiever. Well done!
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Page 48 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast