· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 44 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    @steeler1 - The gourami still has a red dot on one of his sides. Can't see it in those pics, as it's on the other side. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I've been watching it to see if any changes occur. It's just one small dot of red. I'm hoping it's not an external parasite and he just bumped against something.

@carapar56 - I don't know what sex the gourami is. I assumed it's a male, but never really paid much attention to the sexing of them - I figured the females were much smaller or less colorful, but now I see they're actually pretty similar. I'll have to check later and look at the dorsal fin. Not sure you can really tell from the pics. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    So, I had a snow day and spent some time with my fishes. I observed the 75gal and everything appears to be normal. My gourami doesn't appear to be behaving any differently than usual and visually looks healthy, despite that red spot on his side/back. I tried to take pictures, but he was constantly moving. I've posted them below, so if you have any ideas about what you're looking at, please throw me a bone.

Here's a side-view of the red spot:

Here's a rear-view:

And here's another, better profile pic (he favors this side for showing off to people). I think he looks like a male, but maybe I'm wrong... You tell me.

And yeah, he's getting ready to take a poop. lol
    Last edited by KevinVA; 03-07-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Nope your gourami is indeed FEMALE :D Males have longer more pointed dorsal fins while females are rounder and shorter like yours and like my blue gourami. Here are some photos of male gouramis.

opline+gourami.jpg

tumblr_m8le893hac1rbnhfio1_500.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    I just spent forever looking at male vs female gouramis last night. lol That's how I came to my conclusion. Maybe I was looking at female pictures or something. Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of that. =] Thank you for the help Carapar.

Very similar characteristics. At least I won't be missing out on much, having a female instead of a male. Oddly, she's still quite aggressive. I'd think the females would be more docile.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly I thought the same thing, Yet my blue gourami is probably the most aggressive fish I've owned. I know this isn't the right topic of yours, but how is the snail breeding going?

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for asking.

Well, 4 of my Zebra Nerites made the transition into the breeding tank (of the 5 I had). I think the 5th had a rough time w/ shipping.

I've been able to grow some algae, though barely noticeable - visually, you can see some diatoms here and there. I threw a couple of pieces of random driftwood from the Potomac River in there, with some Mangrove stems and a few Java Fern plants. I dose w/ Flourish Comprehensive and Phosphorous on an almost daily basis, to ensure stable/steady algae growth.

These things have been eating like crazy and I have the poop to prove it. They poop everywhere, constantly... it's a mess. I'll clean it after a few days, then a few days more I'll have to clean it again.

Luckily they've made the transition with the different substrate ok and they no longer land on their back and flail around aimlessly. lol

That being said... no eggs yet. I'm hoping they're not all male, but there's no way to tell unless they start laying eggs. =X

As for the Rabbit snails, I've been waiting for the weather to clear up and get warmer. Now it's March and we just had a freak snow storm yesterday, but it's in the 50s again today. lol I plan on contacting the original guy that I purchased my first batch from, because he's supposed to be holding 5 in a grow-out tank for me. I'll contact him tonight and get that rolling again.

Meanwhile, my baby Rabbit snail in the 10gal Betta is doing very well.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Amazing :D glad to here, and just wait in no time you'll see nerite eggs. I was happy mine hadn't laid any then boom 2 months after arrival I'm finding eggs ALL OVER the place. I'm sure you have at least one female it'd be pretty hard to get all of one gender. And nice to here about the rabbits. I've been contemplating getting one for my 20 gallon, I really want one. Been watching my gourami more lately. Seems as if she's just barely holding on. She had a health scare a couple weeks ago and is just declining. For some reason her color still looks amazing and she eats so I'm not going to put her down just yet, I just don't want to see her suffer. Well nice to here progress on the snail tanks, maybe add some more lighting? After getting my nerites both tanks had little algae and they seemed to be starving. I upped the lighting and BOOM algae growth.

0 Not allowed!
    That was a crazy snow storm wasn't it??? Do you still have any over there? Most of ours is gone, thank goodness. I'm getting so tired of the rain, snow, and mud. Heck, I'm a winter person!

I also wanted to say that -- even though I tend to find most of the large Gourami's to be a bit boring, yours is pretty beautiful. I've not seen any with coloring so vibrant. You're a good fish Daddy.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, thanks Mandy. I do try. I think the Opaline Gouramis are probably the prettiest, besides the Pearl. It was a toss-up for me, between the two, but I really liked the blue on this one. One thing's for sure - they're very curious and smart fish, just like Bettas. I love 'em.

The snow storm was ridiculous. It hit for one entire day, like a bat out of hell, and then melted the next day. My snowman's head shrunk like he had a voodoo curse. The weather this year has been so flaky - it's been up and down constantly. I'm looking forward to Spring.

@Carapar - you've done your gourami a great service by giving her a proper and healthy home/life. 7 years isn't it? That's amazing for any fish. I hope you get some more time with her. =]

Good idea on the lighting. I still only have that CFL 40w 6500k bulb on it. I bet if I switched to a regular cfl fixture with a 10k bulb, I'd get growth in no time. That's a good call. I have a spare 10k in storage that I replaced with a 6500k, because I made the mistake once already. lol My Betta tank turned into a algae eating haven, once I added that sucker. That's why I've never had to feed my Otos. Of course, that'll all change soon.

I just upgraded from a 10gal to a 20 Long. It took me about 3hrs to move the 10gal, setup the 20gal, break down the 10gal, setup a new filter, transplant the plants and new driftwood... then the fish. I was surprised at how long my Betta fought me. He was pretty spry for a slow moving fish. lol

While moving all of my fish, I found that ALL of my Shrimp were still alive. All FIVE. I was extremely happy to see that. I'll have some pics up tomorrow of the new tank. I can't really see all of the decor, since it's still kind of cloudy in there, so it's a crapshoot. I'm hoping things look nice. lol I used Floramax (midnight color) for substrate, so it's taking a while to subside. Rinsed it out, too.

Also, you'd be surprised at how quickly Rabbit snails come out of their shell, once they're comfortable in their surroundings. Once I moved them, they popped right out in the new tank. The baby decided to pop out in my fingers, while I was about to place him/her. Love those snails. The Nerite was actually the same way.

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You guys are so lucky you have so many varieties availble of the Blue/opaline gourami. "Back in the day" LOL, all we had was the original form and it was called the three spot gourami. A nice looking fish till the Blue form came along a little later.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Page 44 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast