· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 42 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah I always forget about the "wonder twins" . I can usualy get them at 1.5" and they grow to 2" but with those two's reputation it's not worth risking it.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    lol, I've been thinking of taking out the last bubbler. I had a sponge filter going for a while, where I installed the 2nd canister. The 2nd bubbler is the remnants of that two-pronged air pump. I could probably do away with it, since the tank isn't as heavily planted as before, and I'm using a spray bar now. Hrmmmm
    Is that a reference to that theory about plants sucking air out of a tank? As you know I don't buy into that. Even if it was true you're not planted enough for it to be a concern.

But hey, it's your tank, if you want to have a nostalgic element then go for it. It won't harm anything.

Thanks for checking in, dutchie. I'm glad you see some improvement. I'm hoping I can get this algae under control within the month. =] I'm not certain what happens to dead algae, but I assume that's the browning on the sides/back. If it doesn't wither away w/ death, I'll just scrub them down. I don't want to touch anything, though, until I can see the full effects of the dosing regimen. It's more of a controlled experiment that way. If it works, then I'll know what to do for future tanks, which will lead to less hassle in the long run (hopefully).
    That green stuff on the windows is annoying. Personally I am not bothered by hair algae. Indeed, keep it up for a few weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I took your advice Mandy, and I decided to clear out a patch of the nasty algae on the side of the tank. Amazing what a difference no algae makes. lol I'm tempted to forego the experiment and clean it all. My SAEs might not like me for that, but sheesh... I forget what it used to look like. =X Anyway, I'll keep it going, due to scientific reasons. ;P

Here's day 9 of Ferts (and another view of the clear square):

I'm actually seeing a lot of growth after just one day. My Ludwigia stems grew about 1/4" and the Water Sprite seems to have grown at least 1/2". My Alternanthera is all but destroyed. Not sure why the fish took to killing the crap out of that one, but they were nice while they lasted. =/

In 10gal Betta tank news, I found a bubble nest that my Betta made under a Lilly leaf.

Apparently the smorgasbord of Amano shrimp (it looks like none survived) got him in the mood. Didn't know what to make of it at first, but then remembered that they do this.

Here's the king of the castle now:
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Is that a reference to that theory about plants sucking air out of a tank? As you know I don't buy into that. Even if it was true you're not planted enough for it to be a concern.
    Well, my tank was much more heavily planted prior to the rearrangement. I was having die-off about one-per-day (sometimes every other day) with my Serpaes. Params were perfect all around and there weren't any symptoms. It was suggested that I try a bubbler for night and it staved off the bewildering death march to nowhere. Was it the lack of o2 at night, I don't know. I can only tell you that my problems dissipated after adding more surface tension via bubbler. Remember, this was before I had a spray bar.

But hey, it's your tank, if you want to have a nostalgic element then go for it. It won't harm anything.
    lol, there's a reason I didn't have one in the beginning. ;P

That green stuff on the windows is annoying. Personally I am not bothered by hair algae. Indeed, keep it up for a few weeks.
    I agree with you - it's pretty gross and annoying, and even more-so, when it browns. The hair algae doesn't bother me nearly as much. I've had my dealings with that, as well. Hair algae, cyanobacteria, green beard, green spot, etc. Fun stuff, algae. ;]

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Yayness. I look forward to seeing how this is working out. :)
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Why not go ahead and wipe the tank of all algae? Your dosing regiment should keep a lot of algae from regrowing and any that does grow could be eaten by the SAE's. That way they still get some food source but not too much so they don't get overweight XD

0 Not allowed!
    I'm experimenting, carapar. I'm interested in seeing what happens to the algae that's already there if there's a balance of nutrients/light/co2 in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Just did my water changes yesterday and actually removed all of the Pygmy Sword Chain plants from my 75gal. I noticed that my Raphs have a tough time rummaging through them to get their pellets. They try to squeeze through the chains, but it looks pretty difficult, plus they've been pretty sad looking for a while now. I'll post pics tonight of the change. Not sure what to add, to replace them, but I'm definitely not going with another chain plant. They sprout up wherever they want, and I'd prefer they not be right next to the glass, or blocking off an entrance point to a cave, etc. I'll have to check around to see what's available.

On another note, I was looking at my 10gal on Saturday and noticed something interesting. FOUR Amano shrimp were still alive. Not sure if there are only 4 or all of them survived. I only purchased 5. I was pleasantly surprised to see that, and yesterday I noticed one was molting on the substrate (at least I hope that's what was happening). He was seemingly lifeless and I could see his tail twitching every now and then. I'm thinking that he's just trying to remove the shell and not slowly dying. =X

I have no idea where they were hiding before - maybe the inside of the driftwood. I've seen Otos get up in there at times.

Also, my baby Rabbit snail is doing quite well. Getting a little bigger and eating like a champ. ;]

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience, shrimp are EXTREMELY good hiders. I would assume they would have to be in order to survive in the wild.

You probably have them all in there, that is unless you actually found a body for the one in question.

I usualy note that I see a TON of shrimp emerge when I bust out the blood worms. Everybody loves those things.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    I figured they'd be ok with the Betta, but he was seriously rushing after them, when he found them on the first day. Of course, I know he's extremely inquisitive. He'll stop to stare at new things in the tank, all the time. whether it's a new snail, a new plant or pellet of food. lol He also sees his reflection in the back of the tank (where it's got a black bg), and makes a display ever now and then. He's quite the character. So, if they've survived this long, I assume they're either too fast for him, or he doesn't have a taste for shrimp.

I'll be very happy if they can become more comfortable and work their way around the tank like the snails and Otos. =]

I'm actually amazed that my Betta won't even try to eat the pond snails that have appeared recently (though, I have seen two empty pond snail shells - so maybe that's him... hrmmmmm). They'll float in the water, with their bodies extending out of the shell, and he'll look at it, but completely avoid it.

I've been thinking, lately, about upgrading the 10 to a 20L. Not sure how everything would take to the change, though, but it's beginning to look pretty crowded in there with all of the plants. Well, to me, anyway... everyone else seems to like it. My Otos will actually sit on top of one of the elongated Lilly stems, which droop in the water and rise to the surface. It looks pretty funny. I'll have to get a pic.

Oh, and I just purchased Iron additive from Amazon. Still haven't been adding that nutrient yet, and things have been going pretty well, but I know some of my plants could certainly use it, especially in my 10gal tanks. I'll probably receive that in the next 3-5 days and will begin administering that in the regimen, as well.

Page 42 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast