· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 353 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you happen to check the ph in each of your tanks? The one you moved your serpaes to and the ph in the one they were in? Also, do you know what the ph is at your LFS? If there is a large difference in the PH that may have stressed them. And if so, maybe if you increase the drip acclimate a little longer this time it might make the difference?
    Just a thought. I know my tank ph is 7.2 or 7 , sometimes lower, but the ph in the tanks at my LFS runs a solid 8 so I take a long time with my drip.

Good luck.
    Thanks Fishmommie. My 10gal is 7.2, my 75gal is 7.0. I just tested my 75gal GH/KH, and they're both at about 5' or 89.5ppm which is relatively soft and fine for Tetras. I have no idea what the LFS's pH is, but I assumed it should be about the same, since we have the same water source. I'll check with them, when I go back today. All of my other parameters are fine, as well. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 10ppm nitrates. Though, I still find it difficult to discern from 10ppm and 20ppm nitrates. One's orange and the other one's orange...

Can you tell the difference?
    Last edited by KevinVA; 09-22-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Sorry to hear about your fishies!!

You know I was wondering if that wiggling thing were a mating ritual myself... They say that Serpaes are the easiest of the Tetras to breed.
    Thanks Mandy,

I'm not sure if it was something I did, or the stock I have to choose from. I only have four stores I can shop from and they're either Petsmart, Petsmart, Petsmart or Petco. lol I wish I had a more specialized store to choose from, who knows what they're doing... but unfortunately I'm forced to deal with a big box store. Oh well.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Though, I still find it difficult to discern from 10ppm and 20ppm nitrates. One's orange and the other one's orange...

Can you tell the difference?
    No - it's frustrating. And I have 2 different charts both with different colors. As long as it's more orange than red I figure I'm going in the right direction.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    No - it's frustrating. And I have 2 different charts both with different colors. As long as it's more orange than red I figure I'm going in the right direction.
    lol, that's what I've been thinking.

Well, returned my two Serpaes and got another two. Just introduced them into the tank and so-far, so-good. Hopefully these two fair better than the others. Hope to have a sturdy, stable group of Tetras for the long haul.

In another week, I'll introduce 3-4 Killifish and see how that goes. I'm a little nervous, because of the sporadic behavior of the Tetras. They're all very playful and very active, and can move pretty darn fast when they want to.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    lol, that's what I've been thinking.

Well, returned my two Serpaes and got another two. Just introduced them into the tank and so-far, so-good. Hopefully these two fair better than the others. Hope to have a sturdy, stable group of Tetras for the long haul.

In another week, I'll introduce 3-4 Killifish and see how that goes. I'm a little nervous, because of the sporadic behavior of the Tetras. They're all very playful and very active, and can move pretty darn fast when they want to.
    My serpaes - and the Colombians, come to think of it - were all pretty wild and scattered and a little nippy the first few days. but they settled down nicely after a week or so and I suspect yours will too. Hope these new guys you just got make it okay!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    My serpaes - and the Colombians, come to think of it - were all pretty wild and scattered and a little nippy the first few days. but they settled down nicely after a week or so and I suspect yours will too. Hope these new guys you just got make it okay!
    That's good to know. I'll just have to monitor their behavior to see how things go. I'm sure you're right - they're just getting used to a new environment and staking out their claims/territories, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I just had my 3rd casualty. This one also had its' fins ripped to shreds. You know, everything seems fine during the day... then, when the lights go out I have no idea what to expect. This time it was a Black Phantom that died. I'm pretty sure it was female, as it had red marks on its' fins which are supposed to be characteristic of only females... I wonder if all of the fish dying are females that are getting bullied to death by males.

I also wonder if they'll stop killing each other (if that's what's happening at all - I don't know, because it always happens at night) if they have a larger fish in the tank with them, which will keep them concerned and busy with their own safety. Not that the larger fish would try to eat them, but they don't know that.

It's either they keep killing each other, or this is just natural die-off from the amount of fish I purchased from PetSmart. I was thinking 1 out of 17 wasn't so bad (the 2nd one from the other day was in my 10gal). Now it's 2 out of 17. That's about 12% die-off... Of course, I had that one Oto that died from PetSmart, as well... so I guess it's probably a regular thing with their stocking, but who knows really?

They have plenty of places to hide (and some do quite often), the parameters are as near perfect as I can have them, and they're in larger schools... so I'm at a loss. Maybe they're trying to thin out their herd and I keep repopulating it.

0 Not allowed!
    If I had to guess I'd say the fins are getting shredded after the fact.

Also, if it were me I'd wait a week or so before I added anything else just to gauge how everything is going. If you don't have any more deaths then it's likely that you just had a few sickly fish.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    If I had to guess I'd say the fins are getting shredded after the fact.

Also, if it were me I'd wait a week or so before I added anything else just to gauge how everything is going. If you don't have any more deaths then it's likely that you just had a few sickly fish.
    The only reason I'd replace the ones I have lost so soon, is because PetSmart has a 15day return policy for any dead fish (but you have to bring the dead fish in). I suppose I could put this guy in the freezer for a week, but I doubt my wife would enjoy seeing that. lol

I agree that your suggestion would probably be best, though.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok... so I just counted all of my Serpaes not too long ago and found 10 swimmers, and now I found another dead one. ;/

I think you're right... I'm going to see how it goes for a week. If more die, then I'll know it's probably a stock issue. That's 4 in about 4 days. Kind of disturbing.

Page 4 of 353 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast