· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 38 of 346 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I think that's the route I'm going to take. They'll probably take to hanging around the tank together, rather than establishing their own territory, so that'll make it easier to acclimate the 2nd one. Perhaps I'll finish my stocking this weekend. =]

Going to add my 2nd filter to the tank tomorrow, as well. Just got my Grech today, so I'm anxious to put it together and see how well it does. I have 250mL of Matrix to use - still waiting on the 1L I ordered to get here (which is taking forever). The 250mL should be fine for now. That with sponges & floss should aid in cleaning the tank quite a bit more than the two sponges I have (which I'll use to seed the new canister).

Since SunSun and Grech (same filter, different name) isn't as commonly used in the trade - or rather, I suppose people don't trust the off brands as much as they do Rena, Eheim, Fluval, Marineland, etc, perhaps I'll review it and post my experiences. It'd be nice to have an affordable canister filter to choose from, and be comfortable with buying it. I'm willing to give it a shot, but not a lot of others, who enjoy paying top dollar, are. I'll start documenting tomorrow, when I begin to unpack and set it up. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I may suggest something without over stepping my boundaries here.

One way I have always dealt with Algae is what I call the "Stepping" method. All it takes is restarting your dosing. To do this:

Start from 0 ferts for a week. Then 1/4 dosing for the next week, then 1/2 dosing etc etc. You can adjust to how you want. It is supposed to help your tank "build up" to what they call "harmony" in the planted tank world. Of course you may want to lower your lights and etc to help out with this :).

Hopefully that made sense . Its pretty late here xD
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    tank.love.share(Everyone);
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice, Mitch, appreciate it. =]

I'm not sure how well that would work, though, with using tabs, as well. I have two types already in there doing their thing. Maybe starting from 0 with macros?

Well, today has been interesting. I posted an update the other day with news that I got a refund of $26 from the person I bought the Rena Filstar XP M from. With that, I purchased a new disconnect from Petsolutions about a day later (just received it today). If you recall, I also e-mailed Rena about the disconnect seeing if there was a fix for it (this was before I took it apart and found cracks/breaks all over the place). I just now received an E-Mail from Mars Fishcare (Mars is the parent company for Rena) that informed me they'll be sending a new disconnect free of charge.

This was unexpected news, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Let that be a reminder to anyone who thinks it's a waste of time to contact the manufacturer about a product that there's a problem with. If they care about their reputation, they'll care about their customers. I could return the purchase from Petsolutions, but I think I'll hang onto the extra disconnect for just-in-case scenarios. I also received the silicone I ordered today, too, so I'll attempt to patch the lid, where it's broken open. If that works, I should be good to go on the XP M, and can use it on a future tank.

My wife and daughter had a play date with one of their friends, so I had the day to conduct a water change, clean up the tank a bit and purchase my last addition. I decided to opt for the second Striped Raphael Catfish and boy was it interesting when I added him/her.

I figured that my original cat would be excited to see the new addition and act like my Otos do in their tank (they join the rest of the school in a peaceful manner). Well... I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as I added him to the tank, he took to hiding behind a rock. It was feeding time for the rest of the fish, so I fed... My original cat came out and started sniffing around for food, per usual, getting some pellets here and there... THEN he saw the new one. No, he didn't go over and shake hands with a nice "how do you do." He railroaded him from behind! The new cat braced himself with his pretty strong fins against the rock he was behind and the glass, but the original cat is quite a bit larger. He was thrashing around, knocking the poor guy into the rock and into the glass. When the new one finally broke free of his enclosure, they rapidly circled each other and started knocking each other around with their sides which have spines. I assume this is how they injure others and fend off predators.

This was something to see... I was really worried that the bigger one wasn't going to allow the new one to stay, but eventually things started settling down and the big one went off in search of more food. The new one went off on his own, as well and scavenged a bit in the front. As soon as they were done scavenging, the new guy got behind his rock again, and the big guy sat under the filter intake, right in front of the newcomer. They just sat there for about 3-4 minutes. Then, just like that, the big guy was off to his home in the large piece of driftwood.

Later tonight, I noticed the new one getting closer to the drift wood. At first, he sat at the entrance to the driftwood cave, and now I don't see him anywhere. haha

That's one of the most interesting spectacles I've seen in the tank, I just wish I grabbed my camera sooner, so I could have gotten a video of it.

Anyway, now I'm going to get started on setting up the Grech filter and document it as I go. I'll post a link later to my review, should anyone be interested.

A good day, indeed.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    That is interesting.. Hmm there are many animals that introduce themselves like such, the newcomer sort of allowing itself to be pushed around and bothered and such as sort of an initiation? Maybe this is there way of accepting a newcomer into their territory and established who's boss and such? Hopefully all is worked out and they live together peacefully. If you can you should definitely get some photos of them together!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I figured it was a display to assert his dominance in the tank. I've seen videos of fish doing something like this before, but never catfish... and never catfish that have a tendency to school or stay together. Pretty interesting to see. I'm glad they've settled down. I checked on them twice, after the incident, watching the tank for 5-10min each time. They're definitely both under/inside the big piece of driftwood. I feel like that's the big one's "den," and he's accepted the younger one into it. Kind of like a pack of wolves. I saw the smaller one on the substrate of the den the first time, and the larger one the second time. I'd love to be able to see what's going on in there, other than the switching of positions. ;P

Here's a pic of the new guy acclimating. I'm working on the videos right now. Hope to have those online later tonight.

Last edited by KevinVA; 02-17-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Gah he looks so small and cute. I wish there was a smaller species of talking catfish that I could get for my 20 gallon.. I was thinking about a Mini Moth Catfish but I'm worried that I'd never see it and that it would eat the Venezuelan Dwarf Cories I plan to add as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Here are my 2 Raph cats in all their glory. I'm still getting the hang of this video encoding (and recording) thing. The music would have been much more fitting with their earlier spectacle, but just pretend that's happening and we'll all be good. lol Also, sorry about the abrupt stop.

Here's a link, since I can't embed the vid files on my domain's server: http://www.kevinbush.com/video-of-ne...d-raphael-cat/

Here's a lame narration of today's events w/ an equally lame video, since nothing's really happening. lol Enjoy the lameness! http://www.kevinbush.com/the-calm-after-the-storm/

I don't know why, but if you're using DivX to view vid files online, you'll need to double click the video in order to adjust the audio or pause it. It's weird... and I can't figure out another way to control it, otherwise.

Anyway, have at it!
    Last edited by KevinVA; 02-17-2013 at 04:32 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56 View Post
    Gah he looks so small and cute. I wish there was a smaller species of talking catfish that I could get for my 20 gallon.. I was thinking about a Mini Moth Catfish but I'm worried that I'd never see it and that it would eat the Venezuelan Dwarf Cories I plan to add as well.
    You know, I had an option to go for a smaller Raph or this one, which I thought was about the size of the one I had. When the big one came out, I was so surprised at how large he grew in such a short time. If I got a smaller one, I think the big guy might have eaten it... lol

Yeah, I wouldn't trust any of the medium to larger sized cats... They're very opportunistic and will eat about anything they can fit in their mouths. Much like Killifish. =X

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think I've decide on the Dwarf Moth Catfish. They only grow to about two inches yet they have that spiky, spiny catfish look the them. They're super peaceful and slow moving fish with smaller mouths. Their diet consists of meaty foods and they prefer live bloodworms. They're really gorgeous, here's a picture,
    MiniMothCatfish003.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, very cool looking cat. Only two inches? That'd be perfect, then. You should be fine and it'll add a lot of character to your tank.

Page 38 of 346 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast